Slider controls.

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

Slider controls.

Postby ger21 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:52 pm

I think that the current behavior of the sliders should be modified.

Currently, when you click to move the slider, the slider jumps the the location of the mouse pointer. This can be problematic. It's possible to instantly change you spindle rpm to 50% or less during a heavy cut if you are not careful when manipulating the slider. This can be dangerous, and result in broken tools.

The proper behavior should be that the slider position should not change when the mouse button is clicked. The slider should move proportionally to the mouse movements, but not necessarily move to the exact mouse position.
If the slider is in the middle, and you click on the left edge and slide to the right, the slider should start where it was, and move to the right from there.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Re: Slider controls.

Postby CT63 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 am

In a former life I did industrial control HMI and plc integration. Sliders where never used to adjust process controls because some machine operators had questionable hand eye ordination and easily damage equipment with the "opps". The other reason is mice would frequently disappear.... :roll:

I use Ger's screenset and left the +/- adjustments for spindle rpm and feedrate.
CT63

Postby ger21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 am

I'll eventually be using pots, but until then, I like the sliders. :)
Gerry
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Gerry,

Yes, I think the same is why there was originally no sliders in the UCCNC and there is still no sliders in the default screen.
However how it works now is the same as how sliders work in Mach3 and how sliders work in general in Windows.
I have an idea to add an extra boolen property for the slider "acceptclick", so if that was TRUE then the slider would move to position when clicked and if it was FALSE then it would not accept the mouse clicks.
This way the screen developer or user could decide if he/she wants to accept the mouse clicks for different sliders.
What do you think?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Robertspark » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:08 am

Any chance of a speedometer (rotary / angular) type slider / display object. (visual display of feedrate or of pot setting or over ride)

... Somebody always wants something different.... :roll:
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am

I have an idea to add an extra boolen property for the slider "acceptclick", so if that was TRUE then the slider would move to position when clicked and if it was FALSE then it would not accept the mouse clicks.
This way the screen developer or user could decide if he/she wants to accept the mouse clicks for different sliders.
What do you think?

If false, will it still let you move the slider, and do like I said? I'm not sure I understand?
Gerry
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 am

Currently the slider body click and the slider button (the part of the slider which you can drag, which moves) click and drag is handled separately.
What I thought about is:

- If the slider's button is clicked and dragged that will always work.
- If the acceptclick property is true then you can change the slider position with clicking to anywhere on the body, then the slider jumps to that position (this is how it already works) and if the acceptclick property is set to false then the clicking on the body of the slider is not accepted, then nothing will happen.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:57 am

Yes, I think that would be a better option.
Gerry
ger21

Return to Report a bug