CAM not reconizing a simple DXF

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

CAM not reconizing a simple DXF

Postby A_Camera » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi,
I am trying to use the CAM part of UCCNC but it seems to fail in recognizing the DXF file, which is recognized by four other software, including LazyCam.
UCCNC generates the error message "The file does not seem to be a valid ACAD200 DXF file." when I try to open it.
It is really a very simple file so I have no idea what the problem is. I included the file with a txt extension, must rename the extension to dxf.

Is it a bug or is it too complex for UCCNC?

I have included the DXF file, but it must be renamed because I had to change the extension to txt, otherwise the forum does not allow the uploading.
Attachments
ToolSetter.txt
This is the file which the UCCNC CAM refuses to accept. Rename it to *.dxf due to file restrictions of this site.
(61.05 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
A_Camera

Re: CAM not reconizing a simple DXF

Postby ger21 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:55 pm

I gave up on it almost immediately, when I couldn't load any .dxf files created in AutoCAD. It should at a minimum be able to import R12 .dxf files from AutoCAD, which are the most universal .dxf files there are.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:42 pm

The objects in your file are splines. The UCCNC CAM module currently can't read splines and nurbs as noted in the users manual (UCCNC/Documentation).
This is a current limitation and unfortunately newer autocad versions prefering to save even simple straight lines as splines.

I can't remember all the free softwares which we tested and did not produce nurbs and splined and which worked fine, but I think one of them was QCAD: https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/
If I recall even if a file which was made with Autocad and had nurbs and splines and was then opened in QCAD and just saved again was then saved without splines and nurbs,
but QCAD converted them to lines and polylines which the UCCNC CAM module can read and understand.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:19 pm

cncdrive wrote:The objects in your file are splines. The UCCNC CAM module currently can't read splines and nurbs as noted in the users manual (UCCNC/Documentation).

OK, thanks. I have to admit I didn't check the manual. Anyway, I thought it was a bug, not a limitation.

cncdrive wrote:This is a current limitation and unfortunately newer autocad versions prefering to save even simple straight lines as splines.

My main CAD software is pretty old, about 15 years old, and is called TurboCAD Designer. It is not a freeware and works very well so I'll keep it. The other is Microsoft Visio, also a commercial one. I haven't analysed the DXF files, but it seems that both of those use splines, even for simple rectangles and triangles, because if I create a rectangle or triangle those are not recognized by UCCNC. So, not just new Autocad, but even old CAD software can use splines when it isn't logical.

cncdrive wrote:I can't remember all the free softwares which we tested and did not produce nurbs and splined and which worked fine, but I think one of them was QCAD: https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/
If I recall even if a file which was made with Autocad and had nurbs and splines and was then opened in QCAD and just saved again was then saved without splines and nurbs,
but QCAD converted them to lines and polylines which the UCCNC CAM module can read and understand.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it, but if I have to go through another CAD software to convert then I might as well use that in the first place. Of course, the alternative is to use the same work flow I used before and not to use the UCCNC CAM since the software I use can handle splines and everything else I need. The only feature it does not have is pocketing, which is why I thought I'll test the UCCNC CAM.
A_Camera

Return to Report a bug