UCCNC Stops Working

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

UCCNC Stops Working

Postby Bluebell » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:35 pm

I am using a program to create a grid of Z values to feed to AutoLeveller which then computes GCode modified in the Z direction to provide uniform cut depth relative to the probed surface.

The code is :
G00 X0 Y0
G31 Z-5
G00 Z10

This is repeated in 10mm increments in X then Y in a zig zag pattern with the results if each point stored in a nominated file.

This works fine for areas up to 300 x 300mm. But when I probe an A3 area 390x520mm the program stops at random between 50 and 75% complete. The UCCNC screen disappears, replaced with a UCCNC originated screen saying "UCCNC Stopped Working". There is a ling to find a solution, but click that and the screen disappears without further trace.

I have tried deducing the probe lift from 10 to 5 mm, and did (after several attempts) get a completed probe file.

I can find no log file with any information on the cause of this fault.

Can someone please assist?
Bluebell

Re: UCCNC Stops Working

Postby cncdrive » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:00 pm

If the software stops operation with the "stopped operating" message is a sign of a Windows problem, likely a .net framework issue.
Please also post your g-code file and describe how to exactly reproduce the issue.
And if you have another computer then also please try to run with that to see if the issue appears with that too, that could also cross out a Windows or .net issue if the issue also happens on that computer.
We would be also happy to check your code at us...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Bluebell » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I Left a lot of boring detail on the code from my question in the hope there might be some generic things I should check,

So now some more detail:

Machine and software:

Net Framework 4.7.2
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
Intel 3.5GHz processor 16GB Memory
Motion Control UCCNC100 connected to Gecko 540

This machine is dedicated to a 6040 CNC Router

When I installed UCCNC I reformatted the PC C Drive and installed Win 7 fresh.
There are no programs other than windows and network on the machine.
It is networked via WiFi to my home network for file sharing. Internet access is blocked by the router.

I use UCCNC for 2 purposes
1. Making PCBs. For this PCB Gerber files from (Ancient but fine for my hobby purposes) CircuitMaker are fed to Line Grinder to produce GCode. This is done in Imperial units (Mils) which is the native language of CircuitMaker and its component database. Because I as a matter of principle only use metric units on the router I use an Excel macro to read the imperial GCode and convert it to metric. In that process the Macro outputs a “Ring around the Rosie” file used to check the PCB fits in the space allocated on the blank PCB, A track cutting file, a Drilling file, a cut out file and from the latter a Level Probing file with an output in the format to be read by Auto leveller. The Macro produced level probing file overcame some issues I had with the AutoLeveler produced version and to speed up the whole process.

The probing grid is always 10mm.

Te probing is done direct to the grounded copper surface of the PCB with 15 degree Vee cutter.

This process works flawlessly for my PCBs, which are in the 150 x 150 mm range,

2. Making building models and model train parts in MDF Brass, aluminium and PCB Fibreglass. Parts are drawn in TurboCAD and GCode produced by its CAM module. Tuning of the GCode is done by hand (Mainly removing redundant duplicate code out put by TurboCAM) . The level probe code is produced by an Excel macro from corner coordinates of the part input entered into the spreadsheet. The The probing grid is always 10mm.

The probe is a mechanical micro switch fitted to the motor collet of the 6042.

It is this level probing that fails “UNCC Stopped Working” at random. As the failure is in different places in the code and the code is macro generated (no chance for Old Fingers Trouble) the problem is in my view unlikely to be in the code.

I cannot tell you how to reproduce the error as it happens at random. My suspicions radar is more or less locked on to PC software issues as you suggest and to electrical interference in the probe circuit. The Gecko has PullUp resistors on the probe input, so such interference should not happen – but Murphy’s Law would apply and over ride that logic.

During early probing sessions I had the probe lift set to a minimum clearance and did get an error where the program stopped saying the probe was aborted as the probe was operated at the start of the probe. I set the lift to 10mm and that problem went away, but was replaced by the random stopped working error. I have reset the lift to 5mm, which should still be above the height variation in the PDF blank and the probing process is much faster. I have completed and produced one successful probe file. But I hate unexplained things, especially as the probing process takes a long time and to have to keep repeating that until I at random get a successful run is exasperating.

To me it seems significant that UCCNC not only stops working, but disappears from the screen and from memory altogether. At least with the first error the program stopped but remained working (Still on screen), and went on successfully from where it stopped with a Cycle Restart.

I am sorry I cannot explain how to reproduce the issue, as it is completely random from my observations. But, I hope this somewhat lengthy diatribe might help you to suggest what is wrong and what I should do,
Attachments
4DL Baseboard Level Probing A3 Working Area.txt
(63.89 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Bluebell

Postby dezsoe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:57 pm

Please, tell me the version of UCCNC and upload your profile (.pro) file, so we can run some tests.
dezsoe

Postby Bluebell » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:57 pm

UCCNC version is 1.211

The pro file is attached

An Update.

The machine has bee chirping away for about two hours running the GCode file I sent. It has just stopped at line 4892 with the error "The probe sensor was active. The Operation was aborted". The screen display below the current line number shows an external e-stop was triggered, but the
Reset button is not blinking. I attempted to restart it from the current position, but the error persists. The diagnostics screen shows the probe is active ans the Eyeball says it is clear of the work., but manually "Tickling" the micro switch rest the problem and the switch appeared to operate ok. I restarted the program, it dig one probe and then stopped with the same error,

After 30 minutes or so careful experiment and pondering I think I found the problem. I have the probe wire from the Gecko connected to the probe micro switch, a touch pad and a trailing wire I connect to PCBs, These wires reside on the router table at the Y0 end of the router table. It now seems as the router progresses in the Y direction it drags the loose PCB PCB wire, hidden from direct view, along the side of the router table where it eventually (at random) makes intermittent contact with the router frame and thus triggers a "Prove" event. My excuse for not finding this earlier is that the offending wire is hidden from view and when the router moves back to P1 it drags the wire back in to view, but in a non contact position.

While correcting that should fix the "Probe Active" error it leaves unanswered in my mind the problem ot "UCCNC Stopped Working" Can you advise if these issues are related - that is, can the dragging probe wire and its intermittent contact cause UCCNC to stop working, , or do I still potentially have a separate"UCCNC Stopped Working problem?
Attachments
Default.pro
(36.18 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
Bluebell

Postby cncdrive » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:18 pm

No, a broken probe wire could only cause the "probe was active" error message and a stop, it cannot cause the application to collapse.
Basically nothing should cause the application to collapse, because all exceptions are handled in code, in worst case you should still get an "unhandled exception" message instead of "UCCNC stopped working" message in case if there was some unhandled exception remained in the application.
This is why I told you that it has to be somekind of Windows installation or .NET framework problem.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Report a bug