AXBB-E Mach 3 limit switch wiring

Forum for Discussing Mach3/4 related issues

Re: AXBB-E Mach 3 limit switch wiring

Postby gills » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:49 pm

fsli wrote:
gills wrote:I plugged my limit switches back in and it triggered to being engaged as soon as I plugged it in and it lit up on the AXBB-E for input 1

Don't run Mach3 while you're trying to figure out the wiring. The only good thing I'm reading here is that you've got the LED on the AXBB-E to light up.

Looking back at your most recent drawing, I'm concerned that you only show two switches in series connected to the limit GX16. You did connect the X, Y and Z limit switches in series, right?

When the input 1 LED is lit, can you manually toggle each of the three limit switches and get the LED to go out? Then, can you do the same thing with the home switches? Does the input 4 LED get lit up when the switches are in their NC state, and does the LED go out when you manually toggle each of the home switches?

Again, don't work with Mach3 until you've gotten the LEDs on the AXBB-E to show the correct state when the switches are idle and when they're activated.

Yes I only put two switches in line because I built it to test with. I want everything working correctly before I put it together with all wiring in the cable carriers and everything pretty much locked in their permanent spots. Thats why I tested the E-stop and testing the limit and homing switches now.
gills

Postby gills » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:36 pm

Finally figured out what was triggering my limit switches as soon as I plugged them in. To begin with, yes all you inputs need to be set to active low. The AXBB will work wired 24v+ or 24v-. What hung me up was I had the e stop, home switch and limit all turned on in Mach but not connected to the controller. Once I turned off everything but the limit switches it worked just fine. Next I plugged in the e stop and turned it back on in Mach and both worked. So I guess the AXBB is sensitive and whatever input you turn on you need to have connected
gills

Postby cncdrive » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:27 pm

The AXBB-E is not "sensitive. :)
What you experiencing is that an input has 2 states on or off and a sensor can give active output when on or when off.
Now, if the sensor output is active when it is off then unpluging the sensor will also give you the same result as if the sensor is active.
So, it depends on if your sensor is active when on or off, in other words if it gives NC or NO output. (normally closed or normally open).
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Dazp1976 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:02 pm

cncdrive wrote:The AXBB-E is not "sensitive. :)
What you experiencing is that an input has 2 states on or off and a sensor can give active output when on or when off.
Now, if the sensor output is active when it is off then unpluging the sensor will also give you the same result as if the sensor is active.
So, it depends on if your sensor is active when on or off, in other words if it gives NC or NO output. (normally closed or normally open).

And depending whether switch is NO or NC you just change the active low/high setting to get correct state at the controller.
Dazp1976

Postby gills » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:40 pm

So out of limit switches, homing switches, touch probe and e-stop which ones should be active low, just the limit and home switches?
gills

Postby fsli » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:43 pm

gills wrote:So out of limit switches, homing switches, touch probe and e-stop which ones should be active low, just the limit and home switches?

It depends on how you have them wired. Based on prior posts, your limit and home switches will be Active Low. This is because you wired them in series on the NC contacts, and the LED on the AXBB-E will go out when you move them to the home or limit position. I'm guessing your e-Stop switch is a single pole switch, not double pole like the limit/home switches. If that's a correct guess, then it will likely be configured as Active High.

This is why I had said to leave Mach3 out of it until you get everything wired and can see how the LEDs on the AXBB-E behave when the switches are in the active .vs. inactive state. If the LED is lit when the switch is inactive and it goes out when the switch is activated, then that's an Active Low input. If the LED is dark when the switch is inactive and gets lit when the switch is active, then that's an Active High input.

You haven't posted anything about the probe. It will depend on what type of probe you're using, and again, how it gets wired. So, wire it up and pay attention to the LED on the AXBB-E.
Frank
fsli

Previous

Return to Mach3/4 Discussions