Weird Mach3 problem - line specific

Forum for Discussing Mach3/4 related issues

Weird Mach3 problem - line specific

Postby marty3d » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:14 am

So, I have a plasma cutter that I built and have been using for a couple years. It has been working just fine. Until a couple days ago. As it is cutting out a part, which consists of a number of holes for bolts and then the outline, it gets to line 1394 and the stepper motor screeches and moves the cutter only about 10% of what it should, then goes back to doing its job in normal fashion. That line is G0X9.6Y8.5 (I have truncated the trailing decimals) rapid move. It is the only G0 line that fails to execute properly. I have started the part on other portions of the table, without change, so friction is not an issue. So, I changed to G1 - without effect. Then, I broke it up into X9.6 as one line and Y8.5 as the next line. It did the X move perfectly and messed up on the Y. I thought I was getting somewhere. Then I interchanged the lines and did the Y move first. Now, the Y worked fine and the X move messed up. Now, I am thinking it is a computer issue... It acts as if it is sending pulses much too fast on the line at issue. Any thoughts?
marty3d

Re: Weird Mach3 problem - line specific

Postby ger21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:35 am

There are bugs in Mach3 that can cause that, but it's very difficult to determine if it's a bug, or something else.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Re: Weird Mach3 problem - line specific

Postby marty3d » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 pm

So, I did a work-around today. At that line I had the machine raise and lower the Z a couple times, make a G0X move, and then resume what it was supposed to be doing. The problem went away and the machine keeps accurate track of where it is. Go figure.
marty3d

Return to Mach3/4 Discussions