Firmware Update Error

Forum for Discussing Mach3/4 related issues

Firmware Update Error

Postby Smelton » Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi All,

I am setting up my new AXBB-E controller to run with Mach4 and I am experiencing a problem. I have followed the instructions for the controller and have a confirmed connection via direct Ethernet cable. I have run the UCxxx_Utility program and also been able to ping the controller’s network on Command Prompts without any problems. UCxx00setup files have also been installed to add the AXBB-E controller plug-in to Mach4.

My problem is that when I start up Mach4 a message pops up stating that the firmware is a different version and asks if I want to upgrade. I click yes to upgrade and the blue Link light on my controller flashes for some time before an error message displays, saying the firmware update has failed, error code 6. Continuing to use the software shows that the software isn’t talking to the controller.

Can anybody shed some light on this problem? It seems strange because I know there is a good connection from PC to controller. Any help is much appreciated, cheers.

Scott
Smelton

Re: Firmware Update Error

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 13, 2020 3:05 pm

There is a fix for this possible problem, but it was not packaged yet into the UCx00 automatic installer, but the new plugin files are on the server.
So, what you can do is make internet connection on the computer and run the UCx00 auto installer, then it will download the new files from the internet and will install them, it should fix the issue.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Smelton » Fri May 15, 2020 7:59 am

Thanks for the advice.

I have tried multiple things including re-installing the UCxx00 auto installer (downloaded from the AXBB-E product page) whilst the controller is plugged in and connected to the internet.

I have also tried setting up using Mach3 and I am receiving the same error codes. Is there a list of error code definitions? Sometimes I receive error code 1 and sometimes error code 6.

UCxxxUtility.exe always shows a good connection throughout. Any other suggestions? Cheers
Smelton

Postby cncdrive » Fri May 15, 2020 11:06 pm

I will ask my collegue about code 6. on Monday and will let you know.
For now what I can tell is all error codes are communication problems.
Different codes cover different scenarios, like firmware update errors and there are different codes when for example the firmware update did not even start and when it cut in the middle and when it has a CRC error in the end etc.
What I know is that there areseveral different codes.
You always getting code 6.?
Also can you check what is your Mach3 and Mach4 plugin versions you running?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Smelton » Mon May 18, 2020 10:20 am

No I don’t always get error code 6. When I first start Mach4 I usually get error code 1. Then when I go into ‘configure’ and try to set it up whilst Mach4 is running I get code 6. Whilst the controller it trying to update firmware and the blue link light is flashing, the Mach4 window goes to ‘not responding’ mode for a few seconds.

I have now attempted to set up on a different laptop and I am experiencing the same problems. I am running Mach4 version 4.2.0.4300 and the UCxx00 automatic installer installs AXBB prepacked plugin version 1.000.
Smelton

Postby dezsoe » Mon May 18, 2020 11:17 am

The problem is that you didn't update the plugin as cncdrive told you. Install the plugin with the installer and then update it from the web. (In the plugin window press About and check for updates.)
dezsoe

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 18, 2020 1:41 pm

If the prepacked 1.000 plugin is installed then you do not have internet on the PC. Make internet on it to let the installer download the newer plugin version which has the fix.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Smelton » Tue May 19, 2020 9:49 am

Ok the reason I thought it was version 1.000 is because that is what is listed in the UCxx00 auto installer. I checked the plugin tab in Configure > Control and find that the firmware version for the AXBB plugin is actually 1.002, so I did have an internet connection when the auto installer did it’s job.

In any case, no change to current situation. Thanks for the suggestions.
Smelton

Postby thegreatwaldo » Tue May 19, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi Smelton

Have you had the axbbe working with uccnc instead of Mach4 ? And are you sure the license file is the correct one for your controller (axbbe) I had a bit of trouble setting my system up until Balasz noticed that my License was wrong for my controller. The correct one was emailed promptly to me and everything worked .
Cheers
Andrew
thegreatwaldo

Postby Smelton » Wed May 20, 2020 1:14 am

Hi Andrew, I have UCCNC demo version and I am told it won’t actually communicate with the controller unless using a licensed version of the software, so will I be able to test it in demo version? I am unfamiliar with UCCNC so thought it would be easier to set up with Mach4.

Which license file are you referring to? The Mach4 license? Cheers
Smelton

Next

Return to Mach3/4 Discussions