Mach4 I/O settings does not get saved

Forum for Discussing Mach3/4 related issues

Mach4 I/O settings does not get saved

Postby Heiko » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:02 am

Hi,

I bougth Mach4 and try to get it run with the UC300 ETH(+UB1). After installing the UC300 Plugin and doing the basic setup, the machine seems to run pretty well.
After a restart of Mach4, the Input/Output Pin mapping in the control configuration were lost. I have to setup the device and input/output name on every start of Mach4. Mach4 does not save these values.
I am a bit confused, becaus any other values get saved. Only these UC300 specifc values cause problems.

This thread on Machsupport describes the same problem. However no solution is found. The suggestion is, to contact the cncdrive support.
https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=41747.0

Unfortunately I have not found any information here. To use the UC300ETH with Mach4 seems to be not very common.
Is the problem known and is there a solution? Maybe someone is using Mach4 successfully with CNCDrive hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Heiko
Heiko

Re: Mach4 I/O settings does not get saved

Postby GaryLa » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:13 pm

I had a number of issues in this same area as well. This is what pushed me to try UCCNC, frankly.

It seems to be a better piece of software. It's certainly more flexible and more configurable.

It doesn't hurt that it's less expensive, too.

If you say negative things (like bug reporting) on the MACH forums, they'll eventually ban you.

I think UCCNC's overall concept is better for the DIY, small shop, and prototyping shops.

I use it to drive all sorts of CNC: MIG, plasma, drill, router, paintsprayer, and sandblaster. I have several UC300ETH's.

Right now, I'm writing some macros to aid in using it on my CNC lathe.
GaryLa

Postby Heiko » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi,

thanks for your reply.
I have already tried UCCNC but it dosen't work for me. Look at:
http://www.forum.cncdrive.com/viewtopic.php?t=1888

It seems to be a general problem with Mach4 and UC300ETH or other CNCdrive hardware.

I am a bit confused because CNCdrive says on the productpage of the UC300ETH, it works with Mach4.
So anybody from CNCdrive has an idea how to deal with it? Now I bought a Mach4 license for 200 $ and it doesn't work? I am not very happy with that.

regards
Heiko

Postby ger21 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:14 pm

The problem is that you pay for Mach4, and then rely on other companies to get it to work.
The only way this business model works is if Artsoft assists in plug development, and test and verifies all hardware that works with Mach4.
I paid for a Mach4 license when it was first released, and once I was able to use it, I immediately started looking for an alternative.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 pm

It is Mach4 who saves these parameters without interaction of the plugin.
If you can upload your profile file and the mach4 version number then we are happy to check if we see any problem on our side.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:11 pm

My collegues found the reason for this issue. It is that the data save object is created in the wrong timing in the plugin, however it was not an issue with the previous Mach4 versions, it worked fine.
Now they seems to change something and so now it does not work properly anymore.
So, my collegue made some changes on it now to make it work again.
We will release the new plugin in a few days through a UCx00 automatic installer application update.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Heiko » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:35 pm

Thanks for your fast response!
I hope it wasn't too much work to adapt the plugin just for me. :|

The filename of the installer does not contains a version number.
Maybe you can give a short notification as soon the file is updated? I'm excited to try it. Thanks.
Heiko

Postby cncdrive » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:23 am

It's not just for you. :)
It is a newly created bug, because with previous mach4 release this problem did not exist.
After you 2 other customers reported the same, but we already corrected the issue by that time.

Anyways, we have updated the plugin on our website in the UCx00 automatic installer, but you can get it only if you have internet access on the computer, then the automatic installer downloads the new plugin from our website.
We will only update the prepacked plugin later, so you will need an internet access now to get the updated plugin.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Heiko » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks a lot. The saving works!

Now I got an other issue with the backlash compensation in Mach4.
If i set a backlash in the Mach4 Config and jog the axis with an increment of 0,1 mm, it works fine. Even in continous jog mode or with a G01 in MDI.
But if I set the increment jog step to 0,01 mm or less, the axis moves alternately in positiv and negativ direction.
The real stepwidth also seems to be wrong. But maybe the backlash value is not correct.

I made a short video to show what I mean. First I set a stepwidth of 0,1 mm. Then I changed it to 0,01 mm.
https://youtu.be/M9edAJ6awEg

As far as I know, the additional movement of the backlash compensation is made on the motion controller.
I am not sure if it is a bug in Mach4 or in the UC300 firmware? Of course, it also could be an operator error. :P
Is this an known issue or has anybody an idea how to fix that?

Thanks in advance.
Heiko

Postby rodrigjup@gmail.com » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 am

I have the same issue after installing latest plugin ver1. 004. The input/output tab in mach4 control loses port settings every time I restart. Thought this had been resolved in 2020?
rodrigjup@gmail.com

Next

Return to Mach3/4 Discussions