Conversational Wizards

Discuss the creation and usage of Wizards

Re: Conversational Wizards

Postby Dan911 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi Gerry, Terry,

As of now the circular pocket wizard I just completed can only generate gcode for 1 pocket at a time. So if you wanted to do a
pocket within a pocket you would do deeper pocket first than do second pocket with new generated Gcode.

Adding a starting depth I can't help but think this opens the door wider for a crash, besides this would require a lot more coding :shock: ...lol

Terry, I did make the change to pocket depth and material thickness and handled the negative values within the code, this makes much more sense...Thanks!

Dan
Dan911

Postby ger21 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Adding a starting depth I can't help but think this opens the door wider for a crash,

All Vectric software has Start Depth settings for all of their toolpaths, and there are a LOT of beginners using Vectric Software

besides this would require a lot more coding :shock: ...lol

Yeah, Depth + Start Depth could be problematic. :lol:
Gerry
UCCNC 2017 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html
ger21

Postby Dan911 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:50 pm

ger21 wrote:
Adding a starting depth I can't help but think this opens the door wider for a crash,

All Vectric software has Start Depth settings for all of their toolpaths, and there are a LOT of beginners using Vectric Software

besides this would require a lot more coding :shock: ...lol

Yeah, Depth + Start Depth could be problematic. :lol:

I guess I was trying to subtly write I don't think it's needed in a amusing way. Yes, I use Aspire and aware of this setting, but like I already wrote the wizard only allows to generate gcode for 1 pocket at a time so I don't see it necessary. Changing the starting depth each time IMO leaves more room for error. You can achieve the same results like I described in previous post.

Dan
Dan911

Postby Dan911 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Putting a little more thought to this having a xy start and z start can be very useful. I hate idea's that I didn't come up with. :D
Dan911

Postby Vmax549 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:40 pm

HIYA Dan, The reason for doing a pocket inside of a pocket is to not have to machine such a deep pocket at first. Pocketing deep can cause tooling issues and deflection where cutting 2 shallow pocket is a lot easier.

Teh StartZ + Depth is an INC approach to programming. A lot of Conversationl programing is based on reading teh values off of a Blue print or Drawing standing in front of the machine. Most drawings are done incrementaly.

After you have used wizards for a while you will better understand startZ,s value (;-) Especially if you get into Master Program using multiple wizards.

But there is nothing wrong in your approach as different strokes for different folks. Just remember to stay consistant in how you do things so people can get used to your approach and not get confused

Have you tried teh Macro approach to Wizards ???

Here is a NPT thread mill for a male thread. It was coded as parametric Gcode and using SUBs. Easy on my part (creating) but NOT easy for the user to follow the code OR to have to restart midway. In this case you would not do a midway restart you just simply start over from teh begining.
Attachments
NPTthreads.jpg
Vmax549

Postby Vmax549 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Another aspect of waizards is that you can run teh wizard in realtime and not have to create teh Gcode file. This is great for probing Wizards and such where you just need teh Values and not have to run teh gcode such as set to find teh center of a boss the proceed to machine on it. Teh macro will run all teh motion from itself BUT you will NOT be able to see any toolpathing as toolpaths are not generated from a Macro doing motion. Only from Gcode doing motion.

Same if you are doing drilling with canned cycle from inside the Wizard in realtime. It will drill teh holes just fine BUT the toolpathing will not display

It would be nice to be able to see the tool pathing as teh macro ran BUT that could get complicated. Some times you just have to TRUST that the machine does what it is supposed to do every time (;-)

In teh real old days we only had 3 red lights to tell if teh axis was moving. If you wanted to see the toolpath you looked over at teh machine and watched teh tool motion (;-)

Just a thought(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Dan911 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm

All my experience with cnc is with a router/cabinet parts, signage..etc. That's why having a new xyz position didn't click for me right away. I wouldn't even attempt some of the wizards you shown since I have absolutely no experience using them.

No, I haven't tried with a macro, I gotten to know my way around VS well and I feel when messing with macro's it's like starting over. I already completed 2 wizards and no way I would of gotten that far that quickly with a macro. Not saying they aren't the same amount of work, but it's easier for me with plugin and my preference.

My original approach was the code[] list method but I like to see gcode loaded in UCCNC and it certainly helps in the development stage.

If you would like to see what I have so far let me know and I'll post, I have the create a circle and circular pocket fully functional, nothing like the examples I originally posted.

Dan
Dan911

Postby Vmax549 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:51 pm

When I first started Wizards with UCCNC the only way it coul dbe done was by plugin. Not knowing anything about C# it was a real challenge. So I ended up doing a few and created a source code template that allowed me to assign a new graphics and change teh scripting to create teh process and then compile into a new wizard. Then I worked with Balazs to create teh macro style wizards. It uses about teh same programming of teh Window and allows you to script teh function. Much the same as teh plugin BUT to me much less complicated. AND you do not have to understand anything about compiling teh code. Just write it and it runs.
(;-) I have used VS2010 exp or SharpDevelope to create macro templates as teh coding for teh window is about teh same process

Same thing using a macro template change teh graphic name and write teh script for teh Gcode and boom you are done. It also allows others to see teh action coding and learn from it. OR modify it for their useage

To load a new wizard just drop teh files into teh macro folder and call it from teh MDI or a new button OR load from a HotKey (Fkeys).

I do have a menu system for both teh Plugin style and teh macro style. Call up teh menu and select teh Wizard. Teh plugin style works easily and teh macro style is a bit clunky yet as you can only call teh macro from Mcodes not names. I do have it loading from a text file with teh names and Mcodes but still a bit clunky but workable. IF you would like to see them I can send you teh Scripts to play with They are both macros. I plan to merge both codes and be able to load Wizards from both styles in one menu Plugin or Macro.

The more you do the easier it becomes to do them. (;-) With templates teh hard part is coding teh script to write teh Gcode (;-) There you learn to write teh Gcode with the least amount of scripting. I use looping a LOT on things like pockets.

IF you need help with anything let me know and I will show you what I know how to do (;-) IF you need help with teh Gcode functions I might can help their. Just don't ask for graphics help I am terrible there . Normall I cruise teh WEB and find somthing I can modify to work with . NOT teh best solution as it really needs original art. SO maybe there is someone out there that is a graphics wiz to help out. ????
Vmax549

Postby Dan911 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:01 am

Having fun with this! Wizard number 3 almost complete.

wizard3.JPG
Dan911

Postby Vmax549 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:58 pm

HIYA Dan , Looking Good (;-)

Questions if I may.

What is teh tool diam for ?? Ar you adding in that info for teh post notes ??

G4 dwell ?

When doing arcs of holes normally teh Arc is called as radius not diameter. UNLESS you are doing a bolt circle then it is diameter

I see a G99 but no G98. What if teh machine was left in G99 and you wanted to switch back to G98 ??

Have you noticed with check boxes you can select more than 1 selection ? Pull down boxes work well there as you can set it for single selection only.

Have you given any thoughts as to being mouse free ??

Just some thoughts , (;-) TP
Vmax549

PreviousNext

Return to Conversational Wizards