Lathe / Turn List or items required or wishlist items

While UCCNC does not currently have a TURN Modual Here is the place to discuss your wants and wishes for TURN

Lathe / Turn List or items required or wishlist items

Postby Robertspark » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:41 am

Thought it may be useful to try to create a thread within which we could list the items that are required and those that are wishlist, nice to have items.

I thought this would be useful as a list for cncDrive of items as I went through and tried to create a lathe / turn application with that we have and created macros, macroloops, added code to the constructor macro, and edited the default screenset to create something that worked / emulated a lathe / turning function and maybe some of the items could be adapted / incorporated into the core of uccnc at time of install {no macro adding / editing etc}.

UCCNC and the UC motion controllers have a lot of great features built in, including 6-axis hence we should be able to control 2 axis (X &Z) any way you want or need to in the right working plane with the right toolpath display from the load {without macroloops / constructor macros etc} if the desire is to provide a turn or lathe profile / functionality as standard.

reference documents:
Mach3: http://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/u ... n_1.84.pdf
Mach4: http://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/u ... Manual.pdf
LinuxCNC: http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html
RS274 version 3 (not sure if newer version current): http://ws680.nist.gov/publication/get_p ... _id=823374

required:
G96/G97 Spindle Speed Control Mode (FanucA,B&C: Constant Surface Speed (CSS) or RPM spindle mode), listed in LinuxCNC + Mach4, not listed within Mach3 or RS274 version 3, M from what I can see.
Note: FanucA uses a G50 or FanucB+C uses G92 to set the maximum spindle RPM in G96 mode, uccnc uses G50 + G92 for other things
Need an indicator (LED) on the screenset
attempt done via macro here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=822

wishlist:
Diameter / Radius Mode (LinuxCNC listed as G7+G8, not listed as Mach3, Mach4 or Fanuc A,B or C function or within RS274 version 3 from what I can see)
need a button + indicator on the screenset
attempt done via macro here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=823

required:
G18 at profile load (XZ working plane)
suggest combobox in config to set G17, G18 or G19 at profile start option
attempt done via constructor macro edit here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=828

required:
Tool Path X + Z plane (toolpath view LEFT within uccnc, button 141)
required to be a static setting {i.e. does not flip back to top view under gcode load}
suggest combobox in config>> appearance to set default profile view, maybe additional checkbox to offer option to lock to view under file load as there is probably a reason why it flicks back to top view under file load.
attempt done via constructor macro edit here (for profile load): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=827
reset under file load not attempted although possible via macroloop to monitor change of file load and reset to button 141.

uncertain if required / wishlist item:
G93 inverse time feed rate mode (LinuxCNC+Mach3+Mach4 + RS274 v3 listed, not listed in Fanuc A,B or C)
never used it personally, listed in Mach3 as infrequently used.
may not be possible via macro, although adjusting steps per unit via macro "may" make this g-code able to be emulated via macro
unclear if this Gcode is axis specific or if it affects all axis to create a blended feedrate adjustment.

required:
G95 feedrate per revolution mode (linuxCNC, Mach3, Mach4 , Fanuc B & C - G95, Fanuc A uses G99, not listed in RS274V3)
given we have G33 + G76 already, should not be difficult to provide
may not be possible via macro, although adjusting steps per unit via macro "may" make this g-code able to be emulated via macro
unclear if this Gcode is axis specific or if it affects all axis to create a blended feedrate adjustment.

wishlist (not attempted yet, will have a go):
facing macro + wizard
turning macro + wizard
grooving / parting macro + wizard
boring macro + wizard
internal (+external) taper turning macro(s) + wizard(s)
internal (+external) radius turning macro(s) + wizard(s)
G76 (threading) wizard {g-code already available}

Other suggested items required (attempt underway on all):
Run background
Toolpath background
Dia/Radius button image
Constant Surface Speed / Spindle RPM button Image
wizard icons for basic operations: facing, turning, grooving + parting, boring, threading, taper turning, radius turning
Robertspark

Re: Lathe / Turn List or items required or wishlist items

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:04 pm

My needs are pretty simple. In order of preference:

These I have to have just to do what I currently do.
Diameter mode. Now that I'm done with the camshafts I'll give Robs macro a try.
G76 threading with single index input.

Things I'd like to see.
G96/97. I don't have a VFD on it yet but plan to.
Proper tool path display. For some reason I never rely on tool path display much. May be because I'm using CAM for most things.
Built in wizards for simple things. As I said before I don't see too much trouble in producing code with Mach turn in demo mode and copying it to UCCNC.

Derek
Derek

Postby cncdrive » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:19 pm

Currently lathe users and queries about using the UCCNC on lathe is about 0.1% of our users/customers.
Which means about 1 inquiry out of 1000 which is a pretty low number, is why lathe usage is yet not priority for us, at least it is not until we finish everything we think which could be useful for mills, routers, lasers, plasmas which are the machines the UCCNC was originally designed for.

From Derek's list, what we will probably never implement is single index threading. The UCCNC already has the G33 simple and G76 complex threading codes, but only with incremental encoder feedback.
We don't think single index feedback is good enough to cut threads with proper precision. Index only feedback can be OK only for large lathes with precise spindle speed control where the spindle speed can never drop/change. With small lathes where the feedrate always drops when the knife engages the workpiece single index feedback always means precision problems, because the system is totally blind between 2 index signals. The incremental encoder feedback is much more precise, because the system has known positions on every encoder ticks and adding that our thread cut and rigid tapping algorithms also doing a calculation in advance of the position taking the current spindle speed and so it even calculates sub encoder ticks, it gives a very precise result. Position advance calculation just can't be done well with a single index, because a blind 360° is just too long distance, so it can't work precisely.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Robertspark » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Derek,

Can you not add an encoder?
Costs have come down significantly since mach3 where index pulse was the only option.

Sorted out the toolview window for lathe in the other thread so it is always set to xz plane.

.... No brave sole tested or commented on the constant surface spindle speed macro... Works on mill too (X axis position only though.... Can do it for xy if required / useful too)
Robertspark

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:50 pm

Not the price of the encoder it's the effort to mount and drive it. Although if your diameter macro works for me I'll put the effort in.

Derek
Derek

Return to UCCNC TURN (CNC Lathe)