Put my name on the list for lathe users

While UCCNC does not currently have a TURN Modual Here is the place to discuss your wants and wishes for TURN

Re: Put my name on the list for lathe users

Postby Vmax549 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 am

HIYA Robert. WE can work on UCCNC turn screens but without a little help from UCCNC it will not get far. You can actually do quite a bit as a turn controller BUT it is an extremely limited mode of operation without the basics of turn.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Robertspark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:46 am

There are not enough users for it to be commercially viable for development when 3 axis milling operations are the predominant market.

The good thing is UC controllers work with mach3 and mach4 hence turn is available there and being developed.

The only thing I'm not sure if is what motion controller functions the UC controllers cannot do via the mach3/4 plugins (like threading, probing, THC etc)

And whether they can do encoder synced threading or whether it is just single pulse per revolution.
Rob

Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself”
UC400eth, UC300eth, UCCNC v1.2104, Neuron Lite.
UCCNC v1.2104 Macro Manual
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 am

I seem to recall that threading doesn't work in Mach4? but I could be wrong.
Gerry
UCCNC 2017 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html
ger21

Postby Vmax549 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 pm

If I recall correctly when we tried it Mach3 somewhat worked . The threading had a glitch that was not possible to overcome. It did not work well enough for teh user to continue with it.

Mach4, I HEARD that threading did not work . I have not confirmed that here.

Turn without threading is like going to the butcher store without any money. It leaves you kinda hungry.

IF the Display mode was created and at least Diameter mode created then it would be at least usefully with UCCNC as encoder threading does work fine.

It is odd to have encoder threading and NO TURN :o to use it.

From that point it could be used and Users could wait for future development.

It would be GREAT to use UCCNC on a Mill/Turn machine and they are getting VERY popular these days in lue of having both machines.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Robertspark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Vmax549 wrote:It is odd to have encoder threading and NO TURN :o to use it.

Yes I second that .... You see this and then wonder, why not and how much is really required, given the cherry on the top (sync'd spindle motion) is aleady sorted and is likely to pull in all the M3 users who struggle with single PPR spindle sync.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVYLCoFoK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25FtHEo4Ujo
Rob

Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself”
Robertspark

Postby Vmax549 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Overall TURNS user base is a LOT bigger than most realize. It is just they have been teh red headed step child SO LONG they are used to it and stop complaining.

SO what is needed in a basic form to get stated ??

Toolpathing for Turn mode. Front and Back toolpost veiws.

Front and back X motion support

Diameter mode.

Just those could get you started in turn. Threading already works fine.

ONCE you get a TURN modual up and running THEN you can get users to help test/develope future features for turn.

IF you build it they will come, (;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby markcadcam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:15 pm

I agree with Vmax549. I think there are more lathe users out there then first thought. I for one, bought a Centroid Acorn lathe system (computer, controller software) for around $1200.00. After bench testing with it I decided to put it on the shelf and wait for UCCNC to come out with there lathe version. I've been using UCCNC for at least a year now with my Bridgeport and 5th axis trunnion table with absolutely no problems. I really like UCCNC. My 2 cents worth.
markcadcam

Postby Robertspark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:22 pm

There may be a lot more out there, but it's convincing them to migrate from mach3 with its screen set and turn wizards is it not?

Is there another hobby turn application out there other than artsoft / NFS?

What would be the rival products?
Rob

Robertspark

Postby markcadcam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Centroid Acorn. Check out their forum below. There are a lot of people moving away from Mach, not just for Mill. Lathe also.

http://centroidcncforum.com/viewforum.php?f=60
markcadcam

Postby Vmax549 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi Robert , :P You do realize you could have a screenset exactly LIKE mach3 if you wanted to.

I have done mach3 sets, Mach4 sets,Haas look alike, Fanuc look alike old and new, Path pilot look alike, I can do a Centroid look alike as well as an old DOS style screenset. You are ONLY limited by your imagination as to what it can look like.

The Mach3 Turn crowd would switch in a heartbeat for an encoder threading function.

So if yall want to start working on a New Turn screenset I am all in. We just need to decide on a base image of what you want it to look like. In the OLD mach1/2/3 days that alone could start a CNC holy war about what was teh perfect screenset :shock:

(;-) TP
Vmax549

PreviousNext

Return to UCCNC TURN (CNC Lathe)