Put my name on the list for lathe users

While UCCNC does not currently have a TURN Modual Here is the place to discuss your wants and wishes for TURN

Re: Put my name on the list for lathe users

Postby markcadcam » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 pm

That is a comprehensive list of what would be needed for a lathe. That would be a great starting point.
markcadcam

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:42 am

Presumable for lathe or turning application you need as a minimum:

G95 feedrate units per revolution of the spindle

G96 spindle speed / constant surface speed control.
G96 only appears to control the spindle speed relative to the X axis position, would it not be possible to do this via a macroloop which when triggered just controls the spindle speed DRO?
{is it possible to enable a macro from a G-code?}

What else do you need?
G77 - canned turning cycle is "probably" actually not required, given all mach3 does is call a macro M1077 (hence we could do that anyway)
G78 - canned boring cycle is "probably" actually not required, given all mach3 does is call a macro M1078 (hence we could do that anyway)
Robertspark

Postby markcadcam » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:17 pm

If they’re working on G41 and G42 cutter compensation now and they can get that to work reliable, all the lathe stuff that needs to be added will be a so much less work I think. I have a bad feeling that it will be a long time before we see anything to test for a lathe. For now, I think I will have to look for a different controller and software for my lathe. I hate to do it because I really like UCCNC software and hardware on my mill but I’m not sure how long I can wait for the lathe version. We will see.
markcadcam

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:24 pm

I am having a look at linux CNC at present to see what other lathe Gcodes may be required (that were not available in Mach3).

G7/G8 , diameter and radius mode, it basically halfs the X-axis (X/2) in diameter mode(G7) and G8 is what we presently have (X = 1)
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gco ... l#gcode:g7

None of these look like show stoppers yet
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 pm

We already have G33, so therefore via a macroloop call we have G95 available (Units per Revolution Mode)
Robertspark

Postby markcadcam » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Most of what is needed is already there but it’s up to the developers/programmers to put it all together in a Lathe format. Not much we can do about that.
markcadcam

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm

you can write your own macros / wizards

If you want turning, grooving, parting, facing and boring etc that would either need to be done via macro or wizard

(The probing routines screenset that A_Camera did was not a cncdrive creation, why not look to create a screenset / wizard accordingly)

Terry started over here (but never released the screenset which would have been helpful for others to develop + move forward)
http://forum.cncdrive.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=444

{I am trying to finish off a plasma bolt hole macro at present, I may then have a dabble after one or two other pending screenset + manual items}
Robertspark

Postby markcadcam » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:15 pm

I appreciate all of your input. What I’m looking for is lathe software that is already developed and proved out and ready to use. I don’t have the time to go through developing my own software. It sounds like a lot of fun to learn but I have too many others projects I need to work on.
markcadcam

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:44 pm

I understand you position, but looking at this thread before I tainted it with discussion there were ~ 6 users who said they were interested in lathe / turning center

That is unfortunately not a whole lot of business to dive into near future, not sure what their plans are after G41/G42 + motion planner review, they have other hardware mentioned too (updated MPG), but that may be a different team being hardware + not uccnc / motion controllers (API) direct programming, but it is also an untapped market for them.

G7/G8 can be done very easily via macro + macroloop.
(just store the current steps per unit for the X axis, 1/2 the units, and reload the new units into the X axis steps per unit field)
Then when the macro is cleared, just reset the steps back to the original units

It would be nice to be able to do this directly from G-code (calling a G7/G8 to toggle an LED or checkbox) and not having to call a M-codes (although they will do exactly the same thing!)
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:05 pm

That is unfortunately not a whole lot of business to dive into near future, not sure what their plans are after G41/G42 + motion planner review, they have other hardware mentioned too (updated MPG), but that may be a different team being hardware + not uccnc / motion controllers (API) direct programming, but it is also an untapped market for them.

I would hope that proper 4th rotary axis support is high on that list.
I know that the lack of rotary support is keeping many Mach3 users from switching to UCCNC.
I just attended the Vectric US User group meeting last week, and rotary is becoming quite popular.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

PreviousNext

Return to UCCNC TURN (CNC Lathe)