Put my name on the list for lathe users

While UCCNC does not currently have a TURN Modual Here is the place to discuss your wants and wishes for TURN

Re: Put my name on the list for lathe users

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Lathe control and rotary are different in my knowledge.
I think lathe needs radius based spindle speed control and rotary needs constant surface speed control which are totally different things as far as I understand.

How I think they are different is that with lathe the radius based spindle speed control is what is needed and how that works is that the spindle speed is automatically adjusted based on how far an axis is from the 0 coordinate. E.g. the Z axis distance from 0 sets a proportional spindle speed.
And the rotary to work optimally requires constant surface speed control where the feedrate needs to be compensated (again based on the radius or the Z distance from 0), just like if e.g. the A axis was an Y axis, I mean like if it was a XA plane instead of a XY where the A axis is rotating and the feedrate compensation changes as the Z axis moves closer and further the 0 coordinate.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby markcadcam » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:21 pm

You are correct except the (E.g. the Z axis distance from 0 sets a proportional spindle speed.) Should be the X axis.
markcadcam

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Yes, really the cross axis is the usual radial axis on lathes, so yes, the spindle speed should then depend on the X axis distance from 0.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Lathe control and rotary are different in my knowledge.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that they were the same, or even similar.
Just saying that a lot of people would like to see rotary support. ;)
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Sure, I just wanted to verify if my understanding is correct in case we will start implementing these then I will have to have a proper understanding.
But as mentioned previously I will probably start a forum thread before doing that where we could collect the informations so we could then have all the required knowledge to implement these properly.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:24 pm

I think if you had diameter mode and some sort of threading I could be doing a lot of parts. In my mind Mach turn wasn't exactly fully developed anyway.
Derek

Postby Greolt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:55 pm

ger21 wrote:I would hope that proper 4th rotary axis support is high on that list.
I know that the lack of rotary support is keeping many Mach3 users from switching to UCCNC.
I just attended the Vectric US User group meeting last week, and rotary is becoming quite popular.

G93 would be a good start.
Greolt

Postby asuratman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:00 pm

No progress yet :?:
Still long time to go !!!
asuratman

Postby Robertspark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Your best option at the moment if you have a UC motion controller is to run mach3 or mach4 for turning centre applications.

And uccnc for milling router laser and plasma applications
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:46 am

There are not enough users for it to be commercially viable for development when 3 axis milling operations are the predominant market.

The good thing is UC controllers work with mach3 and mach4 hence turn is available there and being developed.

The only thing I'm not sure if is what motion controller functions the UC controllers cannot do via the mach3/4 plugins (like threading, probing, THC etc)

And whether they can do encoder synced threading or whether it is just single pulse per revolution.
Robertspark

PreviousNext

Return to UCCNC TURN (CNC Lathe)