USB to Ethernet adapter

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

USB to Ethernet adapter

Postby martin54 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Just looking at setting up a laptop to use with a UC400 ETH & found that UCCNC had adaptors in their webshop. Are these the same as any other USB adaptors ? Just that with delivery costs & time to reach the UK I can buy one cheaper & get it quicker if I buy in the UK
martin54

Re: USB to Ethernet adapter

Postby A_Camera » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 am

In theory you can use any Ethernet adapter if you need an adapter and don't have a built in in the laptop. In fact, my machine is connected through a LAN switch and have no issues at all, so there is really no need for a second Ethernet port.
A_Camera

Postby martin54 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:25 am

The laptop has a port but it means keep changing it over if I want to connect to the internet, with a usb adaptor I can just set that up as a dedicated port for the cnc machine :)
martin54

Postby ger21 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:55 am

Does it have wifi? Use wifi for the internet.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 am

A USB to ethernet adapter is nothing more or less, but a network card with USB connection.
It is a card like a PCI ethernet card placed into a PC, but instead of PCI a USB port is used for the connection.
PCI cards are better because PCI has very high possible data throughput speed while USB can have a much lower connection speed, especially when talking about USB 1 and 2., however I've not seen a USB 3 network card so far. Maybe they exists, but probably not for the price range you looking for. :)
Hawever USB 1 and 2 speed is still enough for the UCCNC.

And to extend the single ethernet port you have on the computer you could also use a network router or switch, I mean to do that is also possible.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:58 pm

martin54 wrote:The laptop has a port but it means keep changing it over if I want to connect to the internet, with a usb adaptor I can just set that up as a dedicated port for the cnc machine :)

That's why I have a LAN switch. The UC300ETH is connected to the switch and the PCs I am using are either using WIFI or wired LAN connection can always connect. I don't disconnect any of them from the Internet, it's never a problem for me. The only time UCCNC loses connection is when the periodic backup is started, if I forget to deactivate it and let it run.
A_Camera

Postby Gary Campbell » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Martin...
If you have a choice, use the LAN port for the machine and USB to wireless adapter for wireless comm to the machine. A side benefit is that you can unplug the wireless when not needed, keeping many of todays programs or updates from "helping you out" with an unscheduled update while cutting.
Gary Campbell
CNC Technology & Training
Control & ATC Retrofits
gcnc411(at)gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Gary Campbell

Postby martin54 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for the replies people, sorry about the late reply, not been online much the last few days. Networks aren't one of my strengths which was why I asked :D

No wifi on the laptop but there must have been a card at some point as I have an icon on view bar, the CNC is at my industrial unit & I don't have a landline up there so no internet but I do take the laptop home sometimes & when I do it gets connected to the hub in the house which is why I thought a second network port might be the best idea :D

It's an old HP Business laptop so might just be easier to try & find a wifi card, sure there will be some on that well known auction site :)
martin54

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software