Migrate from one UCCNC Version to another

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Migrate from one UCCNC Version to another

Postby BigAl » Sat May 13, 2017 7:31 am

Hi,

I have my own macros, profiles and screens. My question is now how to transfer this to a new version of UCCNC. Ok, I can copy the profile including the macros (*.pro and the belonging macro folder). For the screen I have to copy the *.ssf file and the used bmp-folder. The question is now:

Are all the files compatible from version to version? If I for excample copy all the stuff from version 1.2xxx to 1.2037. What is the limitation? Is there any remark when files (file-format...) changes?

I know, that in some versions new functionality has been implemented. What is if this functionality does not exist in the profiles-setup? For example the "Disable autmatic jogpanel popup" is new. This options do not exist in older versions. Is this option then added to the old profile?

Had anybody problems with transfering profiled?

I'm looking forward to any answer.

Alex
BigAl

Re: Migrate from one UCCNC Version to another

Postby A_Camera » Sat May 13, 2017 8:27 am

Good questions. Unfortunately manual import is the only option. It should be quite easy to create an import function but it seems that is far down on the priority list of the developers. Been asking for this also and as the software gets more advanced this is even more important now and gets more important with every new release.
A_Camera

Postby cncdrive » Sat May 13, 2017 8:44 am

If you migrate from the same major version then you can just copy your profile files and macros folder.
Ff you install the new version on the top of the older version then you have the option to overwrite or keep the defaul and the plasma profile.
If you have a custom named profile (not the defaul and not the plasma) then they will be not overwritten.

The settings which are not in the older, but in the newer version only, those keys will not be defined in the old profile yet, so on first start those keys will have their default values.
Forexample Disable automatic jogpanel popup function will have a false value.
When you first make a save settings then the new functions' keys will be created and saved as per the value of them in the configuration on the screen.

And if you keep your old screen and so if you do not have the new settings related GUI controls, e.g. you do not have the Disable automatic jogpanel pupup function checkbox on your screenset then that will save with false value.
You may place the new checkbox on your screen though anytime and then you will have the new setting.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby BigAl » Sun May 14, 2017 7:23 am

Thank you for the good answers. It seems to work without any problem. It is very important for me that I can use my own screens also in future versions. Building the screens is a lot of work and it the developers should this keep in mind...

Alex
BigAl

Postby cncdrive » Sun May 14, 2017 11:42 am

No problem.
We always try to keep forward and backward compatiblity of the old profile and the screenset.
When a function is drastically changed, e.g. the function prototype changes, e.g. when the AddLED function for the screenset file was changed with the function getting a new "blink" parameter,
then we still kept the old function prototype also, so the old screenset file still loads fine with the blink parameter missing, it is then set false by the software and when the first time you save the screenset then the new function prototype format is used to save, so the function in the screenset file gets updated to the new format and then the screenset file will become backwards incompatible, however it should not matter because you already using the new software version which supports the new format.
Ofcourse this kind of drastic change is not usual, but sometimes we have to make drastic changes to add new functionality, but we are always careful about how we doing these changes.

And if very serious changes are done then we skip a major version and then is when the profile may become forward incompatible.
This happen rarely, it happened only 2 times in the lifetime of the software with 1.0xxx went to 1.1xxx and later to 1.2xxx.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software