Velocity setting changes on its own

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Velocity setting changes on its own

Postby Erphillips » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:51 pm

Any idea on my Velocity Setting only on the Y axis

it shows 87.6205086946158
I can change it to 400 as it needs to be
Hit Enter
Apply
Save
It reverts back to 87.6205086946158

I can edit the profile file and set it to 400
when I restart the software is shows 400 but if I move an axis it reverts to 87.6205086946158

Can get it to change to any other value and stay

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thank You
Ed
Erphillips

Re: Velocity setting changes on its own

Postby cncdrive » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:46 am

This is because your kernel frequency is too low or your resolution is too high.
I mean the kernel frequency = velocity * steps per value.
If the set value gives higher kernel frequency than the set value (25 or 50 or 100 or 200 or 400kHz) then the software changes it to the maximum possible value, because higher value is simply not possible for the controller to execute.
You could higher the kernel frequency if your stepper or servo drives accepts it or you can set the microstep resolution if it is a microstepping stepper drive or set the encoder gearing to lower servomotor encoder resolution if it is possible with your servo drives.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Erphillips » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:06 am

I will look into that, Thinking back I actually believe I lowered the Kernel Freq about the time it happened, was having crazy random issues with Lost steps, Software lockup, etc.
Finally tracked it down after much hair pulling and cussing to a Ram Module not seated properly.

I will raise the Kernel Freq and see if I get back to my proper speeds, I never would have connected the two.
Should be good, I was running 400ipm I believe with no issues when I first set it up.
Gerber 408 Conversion to UCCNC, overall love it, have been cutting small aluminum parts so the speed has not bothered me. Now I need the speed for cutting sign materials.

Thank You
Ed
Erphillips

Postby cncdrive » Thu May 02, 2024 3:33 am

Any problems like what you described are not in relation with kernel frequency.
The signals are generated by the motion controller and not by the computer, so the higher kernel frequency does not cause any more load on the computer than the lower frequency setting.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software