Fusion 360 CAM Settings To Cut Through Material

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Fusion 360 CAM Settings To Cut Through Material

Postby davidbitton » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:11 am

I'm trying to work with the CAM functionality within Fusion 360. I watched this video, but I'm not seeing the correct result. My issue is that end mill isn't making it's way through the material. Can anyone share their settings? I have tried with a Z zero on the top of the stock as well as the bottom. I played with the bottom settings; -1mm below stock bottom, etc. and still no go. I have my end mill at .004 above the stock and zeroed out in UCCNC. Does anyone have a successful setup they can share with me? Thanks!
davidbitton

Re: Fusion 360 CAM Settings To Cut Through Material

Postby cncdrive » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:24 pm

And one often beginner problem is not locking the tool hard enough in the chuck, so the tool can move up into the chuck.
So, if the tool never goes through the material may be because the tool slips into the chuck.
I would measure the chuck end to the tool end before machining and after machining just to make sure that this is not the reason for the problem.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby spumco » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:45 pm

In F360 cam, I find it helpful to:

1. Select the operation under Setup and 'edit'
2. Click the 'heights' tab
3. Orient the model so Z is at the top of the screen (looking sideways through the part).

This should put the various heights so you can see them edge-on. Double check your heights starting with the bottom. Choose stock bottom for your bottom height, and stock top for top height. Retract and clearance as you see fit to clear fixtures and so forth. The graphic display makes it easy to visualize what F360 thinks you want.

Set the bottom offset to a NEGATIVE number (-0.05" or something appropriate). For a simple version, do a drilling operation and see the difference when you choose "drill tip through bottom" and add a Z-minus offset.

Also ensure your tool length (edit tool) is correct, (flue length, shank, so forth), because this helps with the simulation.

Finally, make sure to run the simulation once F360 has generated the tool path. You should see the tool cut through the stock however much you've chosen.

If you're still having problems even when the simulation appears good to go, then I suspect the tool is creeping up in the holder as CNCDrive suggested. Or your stock is thicker than you think...
spumco

Postby QuebecCNC » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Also, there is a field named "Stock to leave". Make sure there isn't a value there. This is meant for roughing operations when you plan a finishing op later.
QuebecCNC

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software