MDI didn’t work as expected

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

MDI didn’t work as expected

Postby Titaniumboy » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:46 am

Maybe this is common knowledge but I just discovered the hard way that MDI doesn’t execute multiple commands on a single line like I am used to on other controls.

On Haas controls, the routine was to type “G00 G43 G54 H5 Z3.0” to verify that Tool 5 would go to 3.0” above the Part Z zero.

The MDI on UCCNC doesn’t like the above line at all. Oh, it will execute the line without any errors but it completely ignores the G43 and G54 commands. I found out I have to input “G43 H5” all by itself and hit Enter. Then enter “G54” and hit Enter. Finally, on the third line, I get to type “G00 Z3.0” and hit Enter and the machine will move to 3 inches above the part (assuming I didn’t make a mistake somewhere).

Anybody else run into this? Are there any guidelines for acceptable MDI commands?
Titaniumboy

Re: MDI didn’t work as expected

Postby cncdrive » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:03 pm

Your code line is syntactically wrong.

G43 G54 H5 , this is wrong, because G54 has no H parameter.
The H parameter belongs to the G43.
So, in correct syntax: G43 H5 G54
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby dezsoe » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:03 pm

RS274NGC, 3.3.6 Item order:

The first group (the words) may be reordered in any way without changing the meaning of the line.

This means that despite that line looks like an illogical garbage it should execute correctly. (Order of execution: G43 H5, G54, G0 Z3.)
dezsoe

Postby Titaniumboy » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:20 pm

Thank you for your replies gentlemen.

I had also tried “G00 G43 H5 G54 Z3.0” with the G43 and G54 not being executed just like my original example. Both versions of this MDI entry should work in UCCNC? Both examples definitely work on other controllers.

Does UCCNC MDI not process multiple commands on a single MDI line like my limited testing indicates? Is this the way UCCNC MDI was designed, or is this a programming oversight?

Thanks again for your help and I’m looking forward to learning more about MDI.

P.S. I was not the author of this MDI snippet. I had always thought that the order was incorrect but I can verify that it has worked correctly on Haas controls for many years of students taking this CNC class at a local community college.
Titaniumboy

Postby dezsoe » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:24 am

Yes, any order of words should work but does not. It's a known bug in UCCNC, but it would need the complete rewrite of the g-code interpreter, so all you can do now is split these lines.
dezsoe

Postby Titaniumboy » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:09 am

Thank you for the clarification. I really appreciate your help.
Titaniumboy

Postby Titaniumboy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:36 pm

dezsoe wrote:it would need the complete rewrite of the g-code interpreter, so all you can do now is split these lines.

A complete rewrite of the g-code interpreter sounds like a big job, so I assume that this will not be done for at least the next version or two?

Given that we are going to have this issue for the foreseeable future, I would hope to see the UCCNC software manual (current version 1.0047) updated to explain MDI behavior in more detail. Perhaps the additional text would go in Section 4.3.3 Executing Code Via The MDI?

Any idea of when the next software version or next software manual version will be released? Would that version that be an updated Stable release or an updated Developmental release? Perhaps both at the same time?
Titaniumboy

Postby cncdrive » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:58 pm

Next release will be out soon so that will not contain updates about what you asking for.
I will consult the mentioned issue with Dezsoe, because it is not exactly clear to me yet.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software