Auto level question

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Auto level question

Postby kirkmiller » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:44 pm

I am transitioning from Mach3 to UCCNC.

I would like to engrave on a arbitrary non flat surface. In the past I used gcode ripper, with a 3d touch probe at xp, yp, zp offset from the the engraving bit.

I have managed to get the autolevelling extension to come up, but I haven't gotten the probing to behave like I was expecting. I have tried the various options and passed off gcode to uccnc but it doesn't probe right, there are data boxes to input probe offsets . It seems like it works pretty naturally with a conductive touch between a conductive workpiece to the cutter, which I don't have set up for my router.

Is there any documentation that explains how to use it? Or a link to a video, blog or post.

I tried using the gcode ripper transformed gcode in UCCNC, but it doesn't query for a probe file data file name. It will probe x y points, but when the gcode starts running it is at the z height of the probe not the engraving bit. If someone has figured out what edits or process to use gcode ripper with UCCNC, I would love to hear how.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk
kirkmiller

Re: Auto level question

Postby kirkmiller » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:25 am

An update. I created an adapter wire harness for the connector that goes to my 3d touch probe, that has alligator clips. Using continuity between the router bit and the work piece as the probe event, works great. The probe offsets are all zeroed of course. Again it would be nice to have a little description of what the difference between manual and auto probing is or what digitizing output options mean. I found that manual probe option has the pauses required in the gcode to allow removal the alligator clips, and that "none" be selected on the digitizing file output options.

While I was getting the probe function to work I noticed that there were different probe types; touch, mobile and fixed. The manual doesn't cover it, but points to the help function in that part of the program. Does the type of probe selected affect how the auto leveling works?
kirkmiller

Postby dezsoe » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:03 pm

If you use the Autoleveller plugin for the leveling then that is independent from the probe screen.
dezsoe

Postby charliem » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:37 am

I tried using the gcode ripper transformed gcode in UCCNC, but it doesn't query for a probe file data file name. It will probe x y points, but when the gcode starts running it is at the z height of the probe not the engraving bit. If someone has figured out what edits or process to use gcode ripper with UCCNC, I would love to hear how.

As far as I am aware GcodeRipper will not work with UCCNC. I never could get it to work .I sent the developer of GcodeRipper a email asking about it a few years ago and he replyed he may make a version for UCCNC,but it was not high on the priority list at that time.
Regards
Charlie M
charliem

Postby eabrust » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:41 am

ProbeIt plugin for UCCNC now has autoleveling capability built in. Not trying to advertise, but give it a look: https://youtu.be/YhxawYnYLx0 (about half way through video).

Related forum thread: http://www.forum.cncdrive.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2385&p=30088#p29936 . Download and test it out to see if it works for you.

regards
Eric Brust / CraftyCNC
CraftyCNC: Plugins for UCCNC (and other neat stuff): http://www.craftycnc.com/plugins-for-uccnc/
eabrust

Postby kirkmiller » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:03 pm

I bought I license for use with Mach3, does the same license file work for UCCNC?
kirkmiller

Postby charliem » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:16 am

I bought I license for use with Mach3, does the same license file work for UCCNC?

If you are refering to Probit then no.
Regards
Charlie M
charliem

Postby johanbhi » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:46 am

I've successfully fabricated an adapter wire for the connector on my 3D touch probe, complete with alligator clips. This setup functions excellently, utilizing continuity between the router bit and the workpiece to trigger the probe event. Naturally, all probe offsets have been calibrated to zero. Once again, it would be beneficial to include a brief explanation differentiating between manual and auto probing, as well as clarifying the significance of digitizing output options. In my exploration, I've discovered that the manual probe option incorporates necessary pauses within the gcode to facilitate the removal of the alligator clips. Additionally, it's advisable to select "none" for the digitizing file output options.
johanbhi

Postby johanbhi3 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:28 am

I've got an exciting update to share. I've successfully crafted an adapter wire harness for the connector on my 3D touch probe, complete with those handy alligator clips. I've been using it to establish continuity between the router bit and the workpiece as the probe event, and I must say, it's been working like a charm. Naturally, I've ensured that all the probe offsets are zeroed out.

Once again, it would be beneficial to have a brief explanation of the distinctions between manual and auto probing, as well as the significance of digitizing output options. I've discovered that the manual probe option includes the necessary pauses in the G-code to facilitate the removal of those trusty alligator clips. Additionally, it's crucial to select "none" in the digitizing file output options to achieve the desired results.
johanbhi3

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software