UCCNC working with 5 axis??

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

UCCNC working with 5 axis??

Postby genuine » Sun May 28, 2023 11:23 pm

Hello everyone, Its my first post here and Im quite noob regarding cnc softwares and control..
In couple of days will finish one smaller cnc router (70x50cm) and have learn alot about electronic, pneumatic and connecting everything about cnc router.. For now will use China bob with mach3 and doubt will have problem with that,
but few days ago I came across one used router (SCM record 220) that is selling cheaply because it doesnt work and they say problem is with a old battery that died and now software is dead too because of it.. :roll:

First idea was to take all servos, drivers, supplys and replace it with new one that support pul-dir signal, but now after searching it seems those Jaskawa SGDB-10VD drivers probably support differential PUL-DIR signal for 3 main axis.
Machine also have 4.axis tilting spindle on each side by 45* but driver doesnt support PUL-DIR.
Idea is to find a way to drive 4.axis with PUL-DIR and also built 5.axis on top of that so it can do tilt up and dow too by 45*.

So I need to chose appropriate 5axis BoB and sowtware that will be able to work at 5axis simultaneously for wood-working and stone-milling 3D relief, that will have differential signal outs for those Yaskawa drivers and enought ins and outs for all pneumatic, relays, vfd controll, atc..

Spindle is 5kw atc with 10pcs tool changer and have additional servo motor that runs few pieces of drills that are pushed in and out by pneumatic.
So most of it should be able to connect and also working reliably.

Should I use UCCNC and axbb,UC300 or UC400 controler..Or its not the way to go with 5axis machining?
genuine

Re: UCCNC working with 5 axis??

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 29, 2023 3:37 pm

Well, the UCCNC can control 6-axes simultaneously.
There is one thing it cannot do it TCP control which a few users asked about, but we did not implement it yet.
TCP control makes 5 axis machining more comfortable, however it is not absolutely required to work with 5 axis.
Also the UCCNC will not show you the rotations on the 4. and 5. axis, but thats just a limitation in visualisation, maybe when we will implement TCP then probably we will also implement the visualisation of the tilting axes. (But these are just future ns yet.)

But you will really need a good CAM software which can generate proper 5-axis toolpaths.

Otherwise you should use the UC300ETH-5LPT with UCBB breakout boards, because the AXBB-E does not have enough I/Os, however you could also extend the AXBB-E with a UCSB breakout board, but the UC300ETH-5LPT is more extendable, you could even add a second UCBB if you really need lots of I/Os.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby genuine » Wed May 31, 2023 11:18 pm

I guess could do without visualisation but from reading the web, RTCP is must for 5 axis milling.
As from what I could understand its like the part of software (UCCNC..) that take inputs like (measurements,angles..) of additional axis and automatically take them into account when running actual program to keep tool in center of machining surface, what should otherwise be done in CAM software, but that would be much harder and time consuming to do, with less accurate milling.

So we should not expect RTCP update in 2024 ?

Does UCBB actually support differential line outputs pul/dir for servo drivers?
Seems UB1 bob does..
genuine

Postby cncdrive » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:56 am

I don't think that the RTCP is totally nessessary to do 5-axis milling.
From what I learnt about it is that it simply adjusting the tool center point height value based on the rotation of the tilting axes.
So, for example in a g-code program if the tilting head is rotating to a different angle then not only that tilting axis is moving, but the controller calculating and moving the Z axis together with the tolting axis to keep the Z axis height constant.
In a well thought out job generated in CAM is not really nessessary, because the CAM software can add those Z axis movements, however ofcourse it is much less g-code if the controller can do it automatically.

I can't really answer when can we expect this function to be implemented, it is now planned, but we have lots of other plans ahead of it.
We always working on adding new features, currently finishing testing the new lathe functionality and lots and lots of new features were added in the upcoming release.
So, it is currently impossible to tell you if the RPTC function will be added in 2024 or only later.

The UCBB BOB has open collector NPN outputs, not differential.
In a usual installation you do not need differential outputs, because the signals are wired in a short distance inside a closed control box.
Differential line driver signals are nessessary if the wires are running in electricsally noise environment on a long distance, e.g. if the BOB is placed in a control box and the drive is placed on the machine axis with the wires running through the machine frame in energy chains together with other wires carrying high voltages.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby genuine » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:50 am

Seems machine needs about 84 inputs and 96 outputs for all its functions to work but doubt I will need that much..
Those drivers use analog +-10v but luckily these models have also sign-dir option but as I read somewhere it works much better with differential input than single ended.
BOB would be close to the drives but there might be alot of noise since there are about 15-20kw of power supply in the enclosure..
genuine

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software