spindle calibration

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

spindle calibration

Postby charliem » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 am

I finally have UCNC working with super pid and the G540. I notice that what the Super Pid measures and what UCCNC measures is off by about 50 or so RPM. Not that that little bit matters, but is there a way to calibrate the rpm with the PWM signal?

Charlie
Regards
Charlie M
charliem

Re: spindle calibration

Postby ger21 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:05 am

Are you using the tach output on the Super PID to bring the rpm into UCCNC?
Or, are you saying that the commanded speed is off by 50rpm?

If the latter, what I did in Mach3 was adjust the pulley speed to get it as close as possible. But even then, it varied by up to around ±60 rpm, depending on the speed. At the time, the developer of the SuperPID said that was very good.
(I have a pre-release version of the Super PID.)
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby charliem » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:27 am

Hello Gerry,

I am using the tach output on the super pid to tell Uccnc what the rpm is. When I turn the spindle on manually what UCCNC says the rpm is is off from what the super PId says the rpm is. Also If I isssue a M3S6000 It is also off.

P.S

Gerry You close to releasing your screen set? :roll:

Thanks for the reply.

Charlie
Regards
Charlie M
charliem

Postby markswoodchips » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Charlie,
I have been trying unsuccessfully to get my Super PID to work with UCCNC and Gecko 540. Can you please provide more information on how you set up the spindle configuration screen?
Thanks,
Mark
markswoodchips

Postby markswoodchips » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 pm

I finally figured out how to get my Super PID to play nice with UCCNC. The photo shows how I set up the spindle. Two parameters required changing - the spindle velocity max was changed from 5000 to 25000, and the PWM duty max was changed from 100% to 85%. This made the tachometer reading coincide with the S g-code setting. Hope this helps someone else.
Attachments
IMG_1518.JPG
UCCNC spindle set up screen with Super PID
markswoodchips

Postby cncdrive » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks for sharing the results and good to see you got it working.
Just one sidenote for those who will setup their spindles with analog/PWM control is that the UCCNC is scaling the spindle speed (S) minimum and maximum range to the PWM minimum and PWM maximum range.
The S min. gives the PWM min duty cycle and the S max. gives the PWM max. duty cycle. The inbetween S values in the S min..max range give proportional PWM values in the PWM min..max range.
So, tuning the spindle speed to analog voltage or PWM to the S values is pretty flexible in the UCCNC.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software