Spindle encoder

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: Spindle encoder

Postby andrewbishop66 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:52 am

Thanks every one for the suggestions

My options are quite limited as the machine has 8 speeds going from 40 rpm to 3000 rpm using 4 step pullys and a back gear
at the moment speed pickup is taken off the back gear spindle which is ok for the top 4 speeds but for the lower 4 its wrong I think there is a worm drive off the quill which i might be able to use originally it was used for auto feed of the z until i converted the machine

In fact just been out and checked mounting no problem but because its worm drive backlash is about .5 of a degree
and second problem is 26 rotations of the spindle = 1 rotation of my encoder

so even a 1000 count is going to be only 38.xxx per revolution

Should I go for a higher resolution

Thanks andrew
andrewbishop66

Postby Derek » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:58 am

I'm using a Bridgeport head as an example but it should apply to any drawbar style machine. Could you machine a ring that presses into the shaft that drives the step pulley.

I found this picture on the webs.

If you look at the drawbar you will see the shaft I'm talking about. On my mill it's 1.025" ID. There is enough space between the .75" nut and the 1.025" bore for a .075" wall ring to press into it and still clear the draw bar nut. The ring would protrude above the upper bearing far enough to attach a timing pulley to it.

I'd be looking in that direction if it was me.
Derek

Postby andrewbishop66 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 am

Hi the Kondia is almost identical except slightly larger the problem for me is the power draw bar but there might still be enough room which consists of a electric impact gun on a sliding assembly

Will have a look at the weekend and maybe take a picture

Thanks Andrew
andrewbishop66

Previous

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software