UCCNC Work Directories

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: UCCNC Work Directories

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:05 am

I store all my code on a central server so I am of the "go to last folder used" group. But if you save your code on the machine then that would accomplish the same thing since that was the last folder you used.

If every time I started UCCNC I had to navigate to the folder that has the code I would tear my hair out.
Derek

Postby ger21 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:58 am

It should remember where you last opened a file, and give you the option of saving elsewhere.
But I don't want it to be locked in to one location.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi Guys,

Currently how this works is Windows handling the last directory, the UCCNC does not control it at all,
so what Windows thinks was your last directory used will be where the FileDialogs will open at.
I think we could make a setable default working directory, I mean a setable directory where the dialog should always open,
if that path is set then the File dialogs can open that always,
or if that setting was set empty then use the current method letting Windows handle it.
What do you think about this?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:23 pm

That's what I do in my software. Let windows handle it, unless you specify a fixed folder.
However, even the fixed folder option will allow you to change folders.
Gerry
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks guys for the inputs. I will try to implement the default directory setting as described.
I don't think it can get into the next release, because we really want to finish this one in a tight tightframe as we working on this release already too long now,
but should happen in the next next release.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:14 pm

It's probably too late at this point, but a standard windows menu would be a much better place for settings like this.
Maybe a button that brings up a windows dialog box for these types of settings?
Seems like anyone customizing screens will have to do a lot of updating with new releases.
I've been holding off on working on a screen, because I don't want to have to redo a lot when an update occurs.
Gerry
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:41 pm

Gerry,

It's probably too late at this point, but a standard windows menu would be a much better place for settings like this.
Maybe a button that brings up a windows dialog box for these types of settings?
Seems like anyone customizing screens will have to do a lot of updating with new releases.
I've been holding off on working on a screen, because I don't want to have to redo a lot when an update occurs.

The screen interface was not changed for a very long time now.
We changed the interface a bit when going from version 1.0 to the 1.1 first release,
but with that update we still kept the old function prototypes in the interface and wrapped them to the new ones to make sure we not breaking things for customers who already delevoped things in the screen.
We trying to do our best to keep things constant for the users, even if we change lots of things we try to keep the screenset and plugin and macro interface's functions already in use unchanged.

So, if you load an older 1.1 screensets into the newer 1.2 releases those will still work with the version 1.2,
the only thing is that the new functions which we placed onto the screen would be not there and would therefor not working,
would have their default values. We always define a default setting for the new functions in case a setting is not on the screen then it loads the default
which we setup to keep the setting off or on a safe value. (Depends on what type the function it is).
The only downside I see if you will make a custom screenset now is that if we will add lots of new functions and therefor settings then you will also have to add those later,
or those will not be available with your screenset.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software