g-code output for laser (sw by M10/M11)

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

g-code output for laser (sw by M10/M11)

Postby Giordano » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:53 pm

Hello,
Do you guys have experience how to generate g-code with proper M10/M11 switching for UCCNC (and a solid state laser on a stepcraft 300) ?
I have the hardware working now, it can process g-code and M10/M11 controls the laser output, but, I can not find a way to generate the program.
I would need to generate from vector drawings, dxf mainly, text and small drawings.
I've looked at output processors under Autodesk Eagle, Inkscape, Aspire, but could not find a way.
Can you help please?
Thanks,
JG
Giordano

Re: g-code output for laser (sw by M10/M11)

Postby formantjim » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:54 pm

I use Autodesk and it works great so does Fusion but the best program is within the Plugins that come with UCCNC "Laserengrave" this is by far the best engraving piece of software I have ever used the results are just stunning. This program outputs continuously variable power levels for the laser via PWM and depending on your CNC machines accuracy can produce photo realistic images on many metals. I'm currently using a 10W fibre laser with a 50 micron beam and UCCNC with the laserengrave plugin is hard to beat for free. Lightburn I have tried and is comparable to Laserengrave but the interface is so easy with laserengrave it is a joy to use. As regards cutting with the laser the post processors available with Autodesk and one has the ability to vary the power using the Q commands.
formantjim

Postby 3d0g » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 pm

I use CamBam for gcode generation and wrote a simple postprocessor to add the M10/M11 where needed.
3d0g

Postby Giordano » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:27 am

formantjim wrote:I use Autodesk and it works great so does Fusion but the best program is within the Plugins that come with UCCNC "Laserengrave" this is by far the best engraving piece of software I have ever used the results are just stunning. This program outputs continuously variable power levels for the laser via PWM and depending on your CNC machines accuracy can produce photo realistic images on many metals. I'm currently using a 10W fibre laser with a 50 micron beam and UCCNC with the laserengrave plugin is hard to beat for free. Lightburn I have tried and is comparable to Laserengrave but the interface is so easy with laserengrave it is a joy to use. As regards cutting with the laser the post processors available with Autodesk and one has the ability to vary the power using the Q commands.

It is a great addition, but as I understand and saw, the plugin does raster image burning only, it can not drive on a loaded vector. Am I right?
Thanks!
Giordano

Postby formantjim » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:38 pm

I will be the first to admit I'm new to the laser side of things and do not really understand what you wrote. "I have the hardware working now, it can process g-code and M10/M11 controls the laser output, but, I can not find a way to generate the program."
When you say you "cannot find a way to generate the program" what is it you are trying to do? You have images that you want to cut out? Or images that you want to engrave. Can you give an example of what you are trying to do and there are plenty of people that will gladly jump in a assist. I too want to learn as much as I can so ask away.
formantjim

Postby dezsoe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:19 pm

There are no images. He wants to cut with laser.
dezsoe

Postby Robertspark » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Estlcam or sheetcam?

Just use / create a profile cut

You could use uccam build into uccnc (see cam tab) but I have not been able to get it to work with dxfs exported from Autodesk AutoCAD in various versions tried
Robertspark

Postby formantjim » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Well if it is just cutting then the post processor in Inventor works a treat. I have used it to cut thin brass sheet. I started out with an image jpg off the internet then used Inkscape to generate the DXF import into Inventor then post Process UCCNC.
If it is just generation of the GCode Inkscape will do that also and there is even an extension J Tech Photonics or something like that it is called which will cause the M10/M11 commands to be used. Then if you want to get clever then use the Q function to vary the power.
formantjim

Postby Giordano » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Thank You for all of your reply. I did checked Lightburn, suggested here and I like it, however, I gave up this project.
The main thing I wanted is to laser engrave logo or text into things. From vectors, not raster. I thought about cutting too, but that is less important.
Now I rather ordered a dedicated laser controller and will have soon a GT2 belt driven light mechanism for this.

The inkscape "J Tech Photonics" output is still interesting, I will explore that.

Thanks,
JG
Giordano

Next

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software