New Ideas for UCCNC features?

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: New Ideas for UCCNC features?

Postby ger21 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:12 pm

1JUMPER10 wrote:
Gerry - I don't know Les and it seems that any development on the program that he was doing was in 2013?? I get the feeling that he's not working on it any longer. Maybe you could mention supporting UCCNC to him if you think its worthwhile.

To me, that would indicate that it's very difficult to make work, or the demand is very low. Personally, I have no use for this at all. (And I don't know Les either. :) )
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby 1JUMPER10 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Agreed. I searched for quite awhile before I found it. I think I was about 4 pages deep in a google search when I ran across it.
1JUMPER10

Postby A_Camera » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:26 pm

I never said that it is like taking a picture. :lol:
A_Camera

Postby andrewbishop66 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi All

I have used the picture method I use cam bam as a prossesor and in that you can turn the screen see though with a picture on your desktop you can then trace the picture

but the bigger you get the bigger the error Im using this method to make gaskets at the moment but even on a 2 " area I have to do some corrections a probing to points cloud would be nice

but i could do the same with my video edge finder for a more exact drawing

Just my thoughts Andrew
andrewbishop66

Postby jtb223 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:12 am

Stepcraft sells a probe that is supported in UCCNC. Search youtube for 3D Probe Scaning with Stepcraft to see the video (spelling is as it is on the youtube page)
jtb223

Postby A_Camera » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:46 am

1JUMPER10 wrote:I've tried the picture to G-code thing without too much success. Lens effect and scale factors seemed to prevent an accurate duplication of a subject. I guess I'd say it's a 75% solution. If scanything would work it would be exactly what I need.

If accuracy is critical then you need a proper copy stand, a DSLR with very high megapixel image sensor and an accurate real macro lens which gives you manual control over magnification and focus. From that you can exactly calculate things with high accuracy, but since a camera can't really figure out any real X and Y zero positions, even less the Z, it can't ever be as accurate as G-code generated from a CAD drawing. So if accuracy is REALLY important for you then there are no other methods than using measuring devices and manually making a CAD drawing to generate G-code from. I don't think that there are any 3D or 2D scanners commercially available and affordable for amateurs which offer high enough accuracy to copy everything with 100% success and capable of creating perfect copies without the need of manual adjustments and other after work tuning. G-code generated from scanned or photographed images will always need some manual adjustments, or will create copies which are obvious copies and easily distinguished from the original.
A_Camera

Postby Robertspark » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Given all uc motion controllers have a mach3 plugin.... Why not run scanything under mach3 on the same machine for gcode generation.

One thing i found with scanything was focal length.... You need to have the bed square (trammed) to the x and y axis... Whilst this may be easy (expected / a pre-requisite) with a mill... With a plasma table that is most certainly not the case... (Scanning parts / flanges for recutting with the plasma can be very helpful)

Also the cameras don't like shiny edges or surfaces ... Such as aluminium....use spray on black / white hair spray...
Robertspark

Postby skrap » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:02 pm

It would be useful to allow math in the DRO displays. For example - if I bring my cutter to the edge of the work, then I could enter tool_diamter / 2. Also, if you zero on one side of the part, you could job to the other side then divide by two to know where the center of the part is.
skrap

Postby A_Camera » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:12 pm

skrap wrote:It would be useful to allow math in the DRO displays. For example - if I bring my cutter to the edge of the work, then I could enter tool_diamter / 2. Also, if you zero on one side of the part, you could job to the other side then divide by two to know where the center of the part is.

Sounds like probing is what you want to do. I wrote several probing macros to do all that. It is better than jogging.
A_Camera

Previous

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software