Help a noob make a new screen

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Help a noob make a new screen

Postby MattTheNoob » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:24 am

Hey guys, I'm trying to make a new (blank) screen and can't figure out how to do it. I'd like to add a tab that brings me to a new screen, to which I'll eventually add all of my Modbus IO.

If there is a writeup or video out there and someone could point me to it, I'd be very grateful.

I hate asking such a basic question, but I haven't wrapped my head around this enough to start figuring things out on my own.
MattTheNoob
Bostomatic 405 with updated controls... now entering Rev.2
UC300eth-5lpt, ModBus talking to Click PLC, Arduino Gecko servo monitor
Total UC noob.
MattTheNoob

Re: Help a noob make a new screen

Postby A_Camera » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:30 am

MattTheNoob wrote:Hey guys, I'm trying to make a new (blank) screen and can't figure out how to do it. I'd like to add a tab that brings me to a new screen, to which I'll eventually add all of my Modbus IO.

If there is a writeup or video out there and someone could point me to it, I'd be very grateful.

I hate asking such a basic question, but I haven't wrapped my head around this enough to start figuring things out on my own.

I did what you are asking for but for probing. Download and install my probing screen and see if it helps you to understand what to do. Unfortunately I have very little time to assist you but there is a manual regarding the use and the installation. It is though not a manual about how to create a new screen, you have to figure that out. There is also the UCCNC manual, which I guess you have read...

Good luck.
A_Camera

Postby Robertspark » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:34 am

I'll try do a video later today,

In simple terms you add a tab, and set the tab as having a parent tab, the tab must have a unique number (suggest pick something over 100.... As there are about 63 tabs now and they may / will increase as development
happens.

You then assign a background to your tab and you now have a blank screenset....

Ok blank may not be quite true ...

All screens have a parent, think of it as a tree.... The ultimate parent is screen 1..... All the estop, start, run , stop freehold etc are on this screen "tab".... So everything below this tab shows those elements....

Now say you have tab 4 which from memory is the tools tab, when you click on that you have a few tabs that are below that (I can't remember the numbers) say tab 41, 42, 43 (it doesn't work like this but it "should" in my opinion.... Because it tells you the parent is "4" and the child tab is "1".... But there would be other issues with this system.... So don't change what ain't broke! Or we have a system workaround)

So on these tabs 41,42,43 it will show all parent info
So tab 1 (the ultimate parent), tab 4 (the immediate parent) and 41 the current working screen....

If you added say tab 411... It would add all info from the higher parents to the tab 411....

As you are new to uccnc and screenshots when you enter screen edit mode you use the shift + mouse button click to switch tabs.

A few "tips"......
I don't recommend using an existing screenset object and changing its properties.... It will work fine BUT what you will find is when uccnc is updated it comes with a new default screenset .... And a screenset file.... *.sst ....
If you want to upgrade to the new screenset your changes will be scattered throughout the *.sst file.... You won't be able to just copy them to the new sst file
However if you add new objects they get added to the end of the section.... So you can just copy them across to the new *.sst file and they will appear.

Another suggestion.....
Uccnc works off a default screenset images folder
All images are referenced from there...
I would suggest adding a sub-folder to that folder with any custom images
Then within that folder give all your images a prefix.... Say ... Rob-xxxx.png.... that way when you add images to the screenshot you know which images you changed as you prefixed them.... So you can find them in the *.sst file when it's time to upgrade to the new screenset.... And you can just copy the folder across to your new install (if you change the install location).... Or they will remain not over-written if you upgrade to the same path....
I've seen someone who changed some of the default images just by overwriting the existing default ones.... Problem is if you upgrade or install to the same path they will get overwritten.... With the uccnc default images.

If I think of any others I'll post them

I use the screeneditor to edit the screen and also edit the sst file directly using notepad++
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:35 pm

DO you want a completely blank screen, or a new, blank page?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby MattTheNoob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:08 am

Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies. I won't be able to try again for another few days, but I'll report back on my success.
Ger21, I'm looking for a new "blank page" which I will then populate with new LEDs and DROs.
Thanks again.
MattTheNoob
Total UC noob.
MattTheNoob

Postby MattTheNoob » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. I have my new blank page to start mangling.
I sincerely appreciate the assistance.
MattTheNoob
Total UC noob.
MattTheNoob

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software