New Probe Screen in Test Release 1.2108

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

New Probe Screen in Test Release 1.2108

Postby BigAl » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:01 am

Hi together,

I tried the test release version 1.2108. I know it is not a final release but it worked well for me so far. I used the probe screen with my 3D-probe and tested out all the features. What should I say: It's just exactly what I searched for. A view comments from my side about that new feature:

1. If possible move the probe screen to the top menu. The CAM-screen (that nearly nobody use) could be moved to the tools instead. I think that is more useful. I need the probe screen every time when I change the tool or the work piece.

2. The part with the tool length measurement is a little hard to understand. What is the exact workflow? Normally I have to measure the top of the work piece after it is mounted to machine with a movable probe and tool. The the tool should be go to the fixed probe to generate the comparison value. As long the work piece is mounted all tool changes normally only use the fixed probe to get the new tool lengths. My machine normally stops for manual tool changed and should automatically measure the new tool length after I changed it. The "Set as Workpiece Probe Pos", "Set as Mobile Probe Pos", "Set as Fixed Probe Pos", "Reference Current as Workpiece" and "Reference Probe as Workpiece" is confusing me. A better description of the workflow is recommended. I have not imagined yet how to use this feature correct...

3. And a minor wish: It should be possible to use the measured work piece angle to influence the work plane rotation.

But: Thank you for providing this new tool and I'm looking forward to the next release.

Alex
BigAl

Re: New Probe Screen in Test Release 1.2108

Postby dezsoe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the testing!

1. In the Buttons_by_number.htm you can find button code 800 (ProbeToolQuickJump) which jumps directly to the probe screen selecting the tool probe mode. You can assign a hotkey or a button on the screen to jump there. You can also change the original tool probe button to 800.

2. It's true. I'll need to write a more detailed manual with samples. And also, there is a copy/paste error in the manual, sorry, I've just found it now. The fixed probe mode is prepared to work with the tool table and auto tool changer. The workflow you described meets the mobile probe mode, use that. Because you have a fixed probe, check "Save mobile probe pos. on exit" on the setup page to save the probe position for next use. The "Set workpiece probe pos." is for the touch probe mode, you cannot do anything with it if not the touch probe mode is selected. You need to "Set as mobile probe pos" once to save your probe position. "Reference current..." is for manual tool positioning on the workpiece. "Reference probe..." will first probe on the workpiece (you have to stay there) and next on the saved probe position.

3. Originally I wanted to do that, but for the rotation you have to give the X and Y coordinates too. So I ended up with only calculating the angle which you can use to set rotation.
dezsoe

Postby BigAl » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Thank you so much for your excellent and really helpful answers.

As I wrote I tested a lot and the probing works perfect if you know how to use the parameters (+/-, Axis selection etc.). It's to most flexible probe-tool I ever found and I love it. A good thing is also that all parameters you entered are stored until you change them.

On thing I forgot to write: Is there a way to limit the travel speed while probing? Especially when you try the functions it's a good thing to have a speed limit for the travel moves. I normally use the "jog save mode" and limit the speed of my axes. So if i mistakenly have a wrong parameter entered the probe stops immediately if it touches unexpected. I use real 3D-Probes and they are very expensive. As I wrote I tested with a cheap CNC and 3D-printed parts as work pieces. But later I move to my "big" CNC and if there is a wrong move the probe is scrap :-(.

I hope the final release of UCCNC with the integrated probing is out soon.

Best regards from Germany and continue to do such a great job!

Alex
BigAl

Postby dezsoe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:47 pm

As you can see on the screen (the safe probe mode button turns on and off), all travels are always with safe probe mode turned on to save the probe. You can limit the speed with the FRO. (I was thinking of putting an option into the setup to limit the travel speed. I'll put in on my list, as I'm not the only one who think it's good. :))
dezsoe

Postby BigAl » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Yes, that sounds great. We have already the speed for "Fast feed"-probe and "Fine feed"-probe. A third speed for "Travel feed" should be great!

Thank you very much!

Alex
BigAl

Postby BigAl » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:20 pm

dezsoe wrote:2. It's true. I'll need to write a more detailed manual with samples. And also, there is a copy/paste error in the manual, sorry, I've just found it now. The fixed probe mode is prepared to work with the tool table and auto tool changer. The workflow you described meets the mobile probe mode, use that. Because you have a fixed probe, check "Save mobile probe pos. on exit" on the setup page to save the probe position for next use. The "Set workpiece probe pos." is for the touch probe mode, you cannot do anything with it if not the touch probe mode is selected. You need to "Set as mobile probe pos" once to save your probe position. "Reference current..." is for manual tool positioning on the workpiece. "Reference probe..." will first probe on the workpiece (you have to stay there) and next on the saved probe position.

Ok, I found now my way:

1. Chose "Mobile Probe"
2. Set the probe to the work piece and select "Reference Probe As Workpiece". (Or set the current height with "Reference Current as Workpiece")
-> The probe measure (or take) the current height with the probe.
-> The machine moves to the fixed probe place
-> The height will be measures
-> The machine moves back to the original position
3. After the tool has changed I just press "Start probing"
-> The machine moves to the fixed probe place
-> The height will be measured
-> The machine moves back to the original position
-> The tip of the new tool has now the same Z-zero as the original tool: Great :-)
BigAl

Postby dezsoe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Yes! I see, I forgot to mention the most important part: how to measure the new tools, but you found the way... :) (It took a long time to write, I had some phone calls when I tried to answer you.)
dezsoe

Postby BigAl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi dezsoe,

I found another "not so nice" thing :-). The Axis 1 and 2 "count gage" and "count diameter" have confused me sometimes after I changed from "Probe tool" to another type of probe. The "count gage" is imho only relevant when I make a probe with the z-finder. If I use the 3D-probe only the diameter of the ball nose is relevant. I think a better solution could be:

Save the state of "AXIS 1 COUNT GAGE" AND "AXIS 1 COUNT DIA." for "PROBE" and "OTHER". This means when I select the "Probe tool" I get always the last used state. If I go to another type of probe (Simple probe, Angle, Pocket etc.) I have the other state. For all type of probes, except the "Probe tool" I normally use the 3d-probe where I have only to respect the diameter of the ball nose...

What do you think about? This solution have the same possibilities but increases the comfort and makes it all a little bit safer...

Alex
BigAl

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:16 am

Is there a manual somewhere I'm missing for the probe screen? I'm attempting to run through it, but there's lot I don't understand. Also, is there a feature for setting up the tool heights to the tool table in here I'm missing?

Currently, this is how I do things. My tool 1 is just a broke end mill put in backwards which is my probe as my spindle and table are electrically isolated, so no need for a fancy probe as my spindle is com and the table is pos. Long as I'm working with metal parts, works perfect. So set Tool 1 as current tool, zero it to my tool change position on the table, hit the button for the macro to measure tool and insert in table, which will be reference tool. Enter new tool number, click change tool, click move to tool measure/change position, click macro button to measure tool and write to the tool table, rinse and repeat for all my tools. I'm using Screenset 2017 and one modified button to do the tool height measure and send to table.

Is there something in the new probe section that does this already? Sounds like from what I read from other posts, it's just doing what Screenset 2017 already does (or did before I modified mine) and measures tools after each tool change to a fixed point (adding or subtracting the difference from the previous tool (or first tool, I forget now). Which is a great feature for those without fixed tool holders (I used it for years before I got a TTS spindle). But now I need the ability to just run through all my tools and do a quick measure/write to table and have no idea if it's in there already or not. A lot of the wording for the features is confusing to me. So hopefully a manual would help.

Thanks,
-=J
ThreeDJ16

Postby cncdrive » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:01 am

Press the "i" information button on the probing screen to get the documentation.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Next

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software