Spindle motor to servo

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: Spindle motor to servo

Postby Robertspark » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Terry, that was what I was going to do (I've got the sensor etc), but now I need to internally spline something so I thought I'd convert the lathe to servo driven so I can get better control via better encoder feedback
Robertspark

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 pm

Robertspark wrote:Terry, that was what I was going to do (I've got the sensor etc), but now I need to internally spline something so I thought I'd convert the lathe to servo driven so I can get better control via better encoder feedback

Seems to me that it get's pretty hairy doing single point threading based on motor feedback, without timing belts and not having an easy ratio. The system that shall go unnamed i use on my lathe requires extreme accuracy, but it can literally chase threads over and over again without issue. Sometimes it's worth the higher res, depending on needs. And it can do the same with rigid tapping (once I install a motor which can reverse easily....LOL). This is why I'm still a bit nervous on the mill trying to drive off the motor encoder. Just going to see where it leads.

Rigid tapping isn't a huge deal to me on the mill, it's more of a "can i do it" deal. Since I've yet to see a Taig owner show a video of rigid tapping or a working R8 to TTS spindle with power draw bar. I like the challenges of the build. Our next project is an ATC for our R8/TTS spindle (built from scratch down to the shaft by one of the guys in my build group). Do I need one...LOL...no. But where is the fun in that. Pretty soon, there won't be much Taig left on my mill. It's already modded so much the average person wouldn't even know it started life at a Taig. But I have to say below 50 lbs for any one component, and I'm to the point of having an extremely nice mill that meets my needs and requirements via DIY and working with friends. And cool part, these guys are marketing and selling the products we develop (i'm just in it for the fun).

-Jasen

Pic of my progress....it's about to all go together this weekend.
40007297_1099420506889159_1841958830116700160_n.jpg
ThreeDJ16

Postby Robertspark » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:25 pm

Nicely made
Robertspark

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:34 pm

Robertspark wrote:Nicely made

Thanks, I just help with the design. The guy making them has way nicer machines than me. And he did do a fantastic job on that spindle. The TTS holder pull right up to the ground bottom lip as it should and it has less than 5 microns of runout too. Way more accuracy than I'll ever need. But it's made to be universal. We designed a mount for the Taig (which is what is attached to the back). But it can be adapted to any mini mill via the 4 - 5/16-18 bolts on the back. We have 6 full 5/16" standard sized T-slots (2 per face) and 4 - 5/16-18 holes on top to allow for the power draw bar to be attached via a floating system from those 4 bolts. I finished up the power draw bar design and had another buddy mill out the steel pull plate with the cylinder attaches to and then I turned down the tophat bushing on my Emco. With some luck, it's gonna be dropping TTS holders at the push of a button by Monday....LOL...I hope.

Here is a render of the complete design (mount style had to change a little as it was way to complex for production milling). The motor mount has changed a bit too, as that version was limiting on the pulley size. I just don't have renders of the new.

R8 Spindle.PDB.TaigMount.7.30 v46.3.png

R8 Spindle.png
ThreeDJ16

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:38 pm

But like I mentioned, the cool part is they can be adapted to a lot of different machines. We plan on doing a series of parts based on a frame we made up. One of the other guys is currently selling them. I'm pushing this frame now to 120+ IPM, 1/4 DOC in alum and over 50 IPM in steel. It's pretty amazing seeing as it started life as a Taig....hahaha.

Original frame on the right....

36972865_10217374271694535_8420442894598406144_n.jpg
ThreeDJ16

Postby Robertspark » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:47 pm

Link to a site?

I've got an emco maximat fb2 mill (manual), been on about converting it for ages.... Really I'd like something more convertible (it has a vfd already setup as a constant torque drive setting)

I've got an openbuilds c-beam XL, the plan was to use it to do some aluminium plate to cobble up the drive mechanisms for the emco fb2 conversion

Time is the problem....
Robertspark

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:31 pm

Robertspark wrote:Link to a site?

I've got an emco maximat fb2 mill (manual), been on about converting it for ages.... Really I'd like something more convertible (it has a vfd already setup as a constant torque drive setting)

I've got an openbuilds c-beam XL, the plan was to use it to do some aluminium plate to cobble up the drive mechanisms for the emco fb2 conversion

Time is the problem....

The easiest thing I can tell you to keep up with what we are doing is to join the Taig facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/524365887660604/

Let me know you facebook name or just answer the questions (I use those to block spammers) and I'l get you added quickly. I have a youtube channel also. It's just starting out, but i have vids showing the progress and some milling vids. Hope to have more R8 vids up soon. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFCKp9 ... subscriber

And yes, I totally get the time deal. Thankfully my job is 4-10hr days, so I do get the long weekends. But it's still never enough time for life and all my projects.
ThreeDJ16

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:55 pm

ThreeDJ16 wrote:
Let me know you facebook name or just answer the questions (I use those to block spammers) and I'l get you added quickly.

I have loads of requests each day and more than 1/2 are spam requests. So either I know who you are or answer the questions. Sorry...only way to keep out those damn spammers.
ThreeDJ16

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 am

Forgot to mention, for those of you who joined the Taig Facebook group, I have the security questions also tied to the Emco Facebook group I started. So if you wish to see more pics or info on my Emco PC turn 55, just join this group. It should automatically allow you to join if you've been approved on the Taig group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/407296116378626/

It's a small group, but lots of good pics. We're trying to build it up. Hopefully soon I can buy a DMM servo for my lathe and post the conversion for it.

-Jasen
ThreeDJ16

Previous

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software