UC100 and a USB HUB?

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

UC100 and a USB HUB?

Postby Regnar » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:44 pm

My question is would it be ok to use the UC100 plugged into a USB HUB? My situation right now is I am plugging in 4 usb devices each time I go to the machine with the laptop. I have USB 3.0 and USB C 3.1 on the laptop and have been thinking about making a dock for the laptop to plug into so I could just drop it in and get to work. My gut is telling me that the machine and the laptop will not treat anything differently but you never know. Thanks
Regnar

Re: UC100 and a USB HUB?

Postby dezsoe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:56 am

The answer is no and yes. :) Most of the hubs are unreliable. You share the resources of one port to many. But! You have USB3 ports which are much faster. Use a good quality USB3 hub with its own power supply. My experience shows that the power supply is needed, because not all laptops have the power that is written in standards and UC100 will not work if it cannot get enough power.

Because you have enough ports, and just want to make your life easy, I advice to connect all other stuff in the hub and connect UC100 to its own USB port. This way you have only 2 plugs and UC100 can work as before. :)
dezsoe

Re: UC100 and a USB HUB?

Postby Robertspark » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:22 pm

I think there is an option to increase the comms buffer too within UCCNC which would allow you to "improve" communication by outputting the same data in larger packets less often.

the trade off would be communications response back to uccnc.

I guess it depends what you are actually using with the hub.

If you take a standard PC, most USB ports on it are not in fact individual ports but are shared ports via an internal hub {depends on the PC / laptop etc}

as stated earlier usb on a laptop is known to be problematic voltagewise, I suspect its because of laptop manufacturers trying to push battery life statistics and keep overall load down. They don't expect you to be running anything actually off the USB port and its just expected to be for a flashdrive??
Attachments
2018-06-28 14_22_01-UCCNC software _ Running in demo mode....png
Robertspark

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software