Configuring units, profiles, password

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Configuring units, profiles, password

Postby jandyman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to setup up a configuration in UCCNC demo mode, prior to purchase. I can't see where to set units (in/mm), so the steps per unit in the axis setup screen is impossible to know. I did a search which indicated that perhaps I need to create a new profile. But the profiles window won't let me, it keeps complaining that the text field is empty. So I thought that maybe I need to enter a password, but I have no idea what it is and google and forum searches aren't helping. Can you help?
jandyman

Re: Configuring units, profiles, password

Postby dezsoe » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:38 pm

When you enter anything in a field you have to press enter to validate it. It's true for the new profile name too: enter the name, press enter and press button to create the new profile.

UCCNC is unitless. It's your choice what unit you use, but be careful, the CAM programs use inches or mms. If you want to use mms, you have to enter all data in mms. E.g. steps/unit on axis setup page means that how many steps make 1mm movement. When you see "unit" on the screen, replace it with your wanted unit.
dezsoe

Postby jandyman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 pm

I don't understand what you saying about units. Maybe it's because of my experience with Mach3. When I bring up Mach3, it is operating in "inch mode". If I load gcode from Fusion 360 from a design that used mm, something in the gcode will switch Mach3 to mm mode. So while before I loaded the gcode, a jog step of 1 was one inch, after loading the gcode, the jog step of 1 will be 1 mm. So something in Mach3 "knows" which mode it is in. And in that sense, I _don't_ have to be careful loading designs because something in the gcode makes sure the Mach3 understands the design is in mm or inches.

I UCCNC different? What am I not understanding? If I'm loading some designs in inches, and some designs in mm, do I have to have a separate machine configuration with different step size specifications for each?
jandyman

Postby ger21 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:01 am

Yes, UCCNC is different. If you want to run both inch and mm programs, you need to set up separate profiles for each. One with the machine setup with all units in inches, and one with all units in mm's.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Dan911 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:10 pm

I created a plugin that will read if Gcode is using G20(inches) or G21(millimeters). Like Ger21 already posted you would need to create a profile for each to make use. Plugin can be found in the Tool Box section in forum.

Dan
Dan911

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software