help with Nowforever VFD configuration

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: help with Nowforever VFD configuration

Postby dPowell » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm

I think we need to revisit the wiring diagram. This is per the Gecko 540 manual. Screenshots from the manual are attached. Furthermore, The Gecko currently works flawlessly in regards to motion control and limit switches. The only issue is with the Spindle control. Here's a link to the manual.

https://www.geckodrive.com/amfile/file/ ... uct_id/14/
dPowell

Postby Robertspark » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Wiring diagram attached (my recommended)
Attachments
NOWFOREVER VFD GECKO G540 WIRING.pdf
(168.25 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 pm

dPowell wrote:I think we need to revisit the wiring diagram. This is per the Gecko 540 manual. Screenshots from the manual are attached. Furthermore, The Gecko currently works flawlessly in regards to motion control and limit switches. The only issue is with the Spindle control. Here's a link to the manual.

Yes, essentially my sketch is exactly the same as the Gecko manual.

Yours however is not.

Look at your sketch, and VFD Inputs block. Look at Lower row, pin 3, that is wired to the Gecko pin 9, but pin 9 on the gecko s VFD +10V DC.
Pin 8 on the gecko is VFD Output (i.e. the PWM signal that varies from 0 - 10V relative to the commanded speed.

Also you need a means to tell your VFD to run (turn on and off M3 and M5), hence you need to wire Gecko Pin 5 to Upper Row Pin 1 (X1) on the VFD inputs as per your sketch.

I am not sure if you can use or it is recommended to use Gecko Pin 7 for ALL of the gecko inputs (switches and probe) and all of your outputs (Gecko Pin 5 & 6) because this is the analog ground connection for the gecko (it "may" be an isolated ground connection and "may" not be common to Gecko Pin 12, also it "may" induce electrical noise on the VFD ground connection if the ground is running all over the place like an aerial, hence best in my opinion to keep it as short as possible and use Gecko Pin 12 for all your gecko inputs and outputs (Pins 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 10).
Robertspark

Postby dPowell » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 pm

I think we need to revisit the above post. The wiring diagram is per the Gecko 540 manual. A link to the manual is provided here:

Page 7 has the wiring diagram as illustrated in the attachment below. In addition, all motion controls, limit switches, and emergency switch work per specifications when connected in this manner. The only non-functional device is the Spindle control. With that stated, it is possible that the VFD is wired wrong. However, I even doubt this is an issue because the wiring matches the previous wiring with a Chinese controller and there is a Youtube vidseo that shows the exact wiring configuration. That video can be cound here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lncconN83G4&t=935s

The first 15 minutes are about programming the front panel. Starting around 15:25 into the video, they describe the physical wiring.

All said, I believe the wiring is not the issue. I will be testing signals tonight to see if the Gecko is supplying ~10 volts on terminal 9 . I'm not certain of the voltage/signal I should expect on terminal 8 though.. they just say it is VFD output with no specs.
Attachments
Geck0 540 wiring.jpg
dPowell

Postby ger21 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 am

Rob is right, and your diagram is incorrect.

Pin 9 on the G540 goes to the +12V terminal on the VFD. The Gecko manual warns that this must not exceed 12V.
Pin 7 goes to the VFD's analog COM terminal.

These are required so that the G540 can output the analog voltage to AIN from pin 8. The voltage you read on pin 8 corresponds to the RPM. 0RPM=0V, Max rpm = 10V

What's not shown in your diagram is a relay that you need to start and stop the spindle using the X1 and digital COM on the VFD. This would be controlled by Output 1 or Output 2 on the G540. Pins 5 or 6.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby dPowell » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:14 am

OK, I think I got it!. I'll do the rewire per your spec tonight.... I hope my challenge wasn't offending... I also apologize for the duplication on the post... didn't see it show up so I posted again... then I discovered it had spilled over to page two.
dPowell

Previous

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software