Hdbb2 with leadshine em7805

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Hdbb2 with leadshine em7805

Postby thegreatwaldo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 pm

HI Balazs

I got my Leadshine em705 drivers working with the hdbb2. I set the motors to a high acceleration in uccnc till the driver stalled (red light) I had to unplug the system to reset the drivers. Can you please point me to where I can connect a software reset on the bob- There are 4 connections on the driver ena+ ena- and flt + flt - are any of these connected to the bob. Sorry if these questions seem sily but i'm learning by doing and asking. ( pushed the settings on the motor to check the speed limits and will not use at max speed)
Regards
Andrew
thegreatwaldo

Re: Hdbb2 with leadshine em7805

Postby ger21 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:03 pm

You need to remove the power to those drives if they fault, to reset them. Not an easy way to have a reset button to do that.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby thegreatwaldo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi Gerry
Thanks for that info . I will wire up some switches to do that. I suppose that would be the easiest thing to do??
Regards

Andrew
thegreatwaldo

Postby ger21 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Yes. You should probably switch off the DC power supply, rather than switching the DC power to the drives.
Gerry
ger21

Postby thegreatwaldo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:01 pm

ger21 wrote:Yes. You should probably switch off the DC power supply, rather than switching the DC power to the drives.

Hi Gerry
Would that be so that the switch off would not be to abrupt as the caps drain out in the power supply ? only problem is is that the controller needs to be near.

Cheers
Andrew
thegreatwaldo

Postby ger21 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:41 pm

If you read the EM705 manual, it tells you not to do it.
Gerry
ger21

Postby thegreatwaldo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:39 pm

ger21 wrote:If you read the EM705 manual, it tells you not to do it.

Hi Gerry

I suppose the trick is to set things up with some leeway not to overload the system !!

Cheers

Andrew
thegreatwaldo

Postby cncdrive » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 pm

If the drive's manual says not to disconnect the DC bus voltage when the drive is running then better not to do it. :)
If the issue is that when you unpower the power supply after the drive faults and that it takes too long time for the buffer caps to go low enough voltage for the drives to switch off to let you restart them,
then you may install some power resistors in parallel with the DC bus capacitors. The power resistors will abrupt the power supply, but they will also dissipate when the power is on.
I think it could be also implemented that the fault signal of the drives run a relay which relay connects the power resistors to the power supply.
So, when there is no fault then the relay disconnects the power resistors and they don't dissipate while the drives are running and when the drives go to fault then the relay energises switching the power resistors onto the DC bus and so when you switching the power supply off then the resistors abrupt the capacitors.
With the value of the resistors used you could influance how fast they will abrupt the capacitors, but take care to not undersize them in value and power, otherwise they will overheat and blow up when the drives go to fault and if you not switching the power supply off for a long enough time.

Another idea is to use the same relay to disconnect the power from the power supply input when the drives fault, however I saw some drives earlier which toggled the fault output on power up and then this could not work, because the fault goes on on power up for a short time and then if the relay disconnects the PSU then the drive will remain without power...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby thegreatwaldo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:04 am

Hi Balazs
I assume it's not a problem then just to turn the mains power off to the controller to reset everything ? I'm not doing anything mission critical (at least not at the moment)

Thanks
Andrew
by the way do the ena+ and - and Flt + and - connect anywhere on the hdbb2 ? or should I just ignore them ?
thegreatwaldo

Return to Hardware