Hbb2

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Hbb2

Postby X-man » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:51 am

...has a 5v analogue output to drive the spindle. Now I have a C11 board that has a 0-10v analogue output to drive the spindle (speed control). As I understand it it uses the voltage to tell the spindle what speed to go and replaces the variable speed controller on my converted mill (Sieg X3). So my question is how would I get the HBB2 to drive my spindle if it will only output 5v or is it just not the BB board for me?

Thanks

Tony
X-man

Re: Hbb2

Postby ger21 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:39 pm

You use a "regular" output for PWM into the C11, and let the C11 control the spindle, or, you use the HBB2 to control the spindle, and don't use the C11 spindle control.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby X-man » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:13 pm

Ah, slight misunderstanding here.

I use a C11 with the analog output of 0-10v for spindle control.

If I swap to a HDBB2 can I use the 0-5v in the same way (machine requires 0-10v for control of the wiper of the motor) Question is is there anyway of making the HBB2 output 0-10v on the analog circuit since it has a 12v input to drive it?

I don't believe I can use PWM to drive the motor as it stands. It uses step and direction for control to the driver board of the X3 so I can control the speed from UCCNC and works fine.
X-man

Postby Robertspark » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:39 pm

X-man wrote:If I swap to a HDBB2 can I use the 0-5v in the same way (machine requires 0-10v for control of the wiper of the motor) Question is is there anyway of making the HBB2 output 0-10v on the analog circuit since it has a 12v input to drive it?

Short answer, I don't believe you can.

Extract from HBB2 manual:

5.3 Analog output
There is one 0..5 Volts analog output onboard, this output is shares the LPT port pin with Output#4. The digital 0-5Volts TTL signal from the LPT port is optically isolated and smoothed with an onboard RC filter to analog 0 to 5Volts Voltage. The analog Voltage level is proportional with the LPT port digital signal's duty cycle. A PWM can be applied to the LPT port pin (from software) and with variing the duty cycle of this signal the analog output Voltage value can be changed. A 0% on duty cycle output on the LPT port pin gives a 0Volts analog output Voltage and a 100% on duty cycle output on the LPT port pin gives an 5Volts analog output Voltage. The output is scaled linear, so an 50% duty cycle signal gives a 2.5Volts analog output Voltage.
Robertspark

Return to Hardware