Just smoked my AXBB-E. is it unusbale now?

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Just smoked my AXBB-E. is it unusbale now?

Postby poppyseeds » Tue May 21, 2024 9:44 am

Plugged the 24v PSU into the 5V IN/OUT on the board by mistake, snap, crackle, pop and smoke came out.

Just wanted to see if there's anything I can do with this board other than throw it?
poppyseeds

Re: Just smoked my AXBB-E. is it unusbale now?

Postby poppyseeds » Tue May 21, 2024 12:31 pm

poppyseeds

Postby cncdrive » Thu May 23, 2024 9:04 pm

It is an AP2401 power management chip which protects the board from overcurrent.
It damages from overvoltage, but it usually still protects the rest of the board even if the IC damages.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby poppyseeds » Tue May 28, 2024 6:33 am

Thanks for the info, so could i still use this board or would I need to get this cheap replaced somehow in order to use it again?
poppyseeds

Postby fsli » Tue May 28, 2024 11:09 am

poppyseeds wrote:so could i still use this board or would I need to get this cheap replaced somehow in order to use it again?

You cannot use the AXBB-E without getting the chip replaced. If you don't have the skills yourself, you should determine the cost to have it repaired vs throwing it away and buying a new board. I don't know where you'd go to have it repaired, though.
Frank
fsli

Postby poppyseeds » Tue May 28, 2024 2:48 pm

fsli wrote:
poppyseeds wrote:so could i still use this board or would I need to get this cheap replaced somehow in order to use it again?

You cannot use the AXBB-E without getting the chip replaced. If you don't have the skills yourself, you should determine the cost to have it repaired vs throwing it away and buying a new board. I don't know where you'd go to have it repaired, though.

Ive never done SMD soldering before but I might as well give it a go and see if I can resurrect this board.

Ive also read that you can bypass this chip by connecting the Ins and Outs. Seems like this could be the easiest option
poppyseeds

Postby cncdrive » Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:43 pm

Yes, you can bypass the AP2401, but then the board has no more overcurrent protection, so then if you shorting out something on the non isolated side could possibly damage the board.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Hardware