Spindle dead or vfd dead and how to tell.

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Spindle dead or vfd dead and how to tell.

Postby Ollie78 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:56 am

Hello

I am having a problem with my spindle and/or VFD.

So, I was cutting a part from some HDPE plastic and it was going fine, then all of a sudden the spindle slowed down and stopped.

A bit of information about the setup.
My spindle is not controlled by the UC 300 eth, it is just wired seperately and I turn it on or off with a switch and control the speed with the knob on the vfd.
The VFD is an ABB IP20 / UL Open type and the spindle a generic Chinese 2.2kw water cooled unit (cooled by barrel of antifreeze and pond pump).

Tried tech support number one rule and turned everything off and on again, no use. No error code on VFD, it turns on with its normal little fan noise and then shows 0, flick the spindle on switch and it still says 0.

I have done a few continuity tests, I was surprised to find only 3 pins in the top connector of the spindle, I am assuming the earth is via the shielding ?

So the wires at the VFD are the earth which is to a common plate with the input power and U2,V2 and W2 .

With the spindle still connected I tested the terminals with each other, all beeped indicating continuity and showed a reading of 1.6 to 2 ohms on the multimeter.
I then disconnected the wire at the top of the motor and tested continuity between each of the 3 pins in the motor all beeped and showed 1.6 ohms.

Then I tested each section of the connector plug with its counterpart on the vfd and they all beeped continuity and showed 00.3 to 00.5 ohms.
There did not appear to be any continuity between ground and anything else, which I think is a good thing (no short).

I am not sure what this information is indicating and am none the wiser at this point.

I am thinking I will need to test the vfd when powered on to see what is happenning but not sure what setting on the multimeter etc.
Be handy if I had a spare of either to eliminate one or the other.

Considering buying a new motor to test but as mine is 3 wire and most look like 4 wire connectors might need to get a spindle /VFD combo. Rather not go this route but need to get it running, has anyone purchased from Rattm motor they seem to be the main source on ebay, any good?

All advice appreciated, thanks.

Ollie
Ollie78

Return to Hardware