Driver Installation Strangeness

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Driver Installation Strangeness

Postby davedex » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:33 pm

Hi,

I have a UC100 and after 5 or 6 years of sawdust getting into my previous laptop, it's time to update it to a newer machine. Unfortunately the drivers seem to be unable to install or operate on my new device as the utility to detect the serial number consistently says it is unable to detect an attached UC100.

If I look at the drivers, it shows the unsigned issue mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I've tried all the steps from viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3732, in other words uninstalling the drivers, disconnecting, turning off network connectivity, re-inserting and installing the drivers again but exactly the same result occurs. The last page postings there mention that the latest windows update fixes everything but I'm fully up to date windows 11 as of 15/08/2022.

Can anyone advise things to try next? Thanks for your help.
Dave
Attachments
devmgr.png
utility_screenshot.png
davedex

Re: Driver Installation Strangeness

Postby davedex » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:54 pm

I also forgot to mention that I've tried this on multiple devices. A dell xps 9310 and a dell xps 9510 (admittedly similar models and manufacturer). Also the uc100 behaves perfectly well on my old machine.
davedex

Postby thegreatwaldo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:34 pm

Hi Dave
Did you make sure you installed everything with administrator rights ?
Cheers
Andrew
thegreatwaldo

Postby dezsoe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:09 am

Which version of UCCNC did you install? The drivers in 1.2113 work fine with Windows 11.
dezsoe

Postby davedex » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:57 pm

Thanks for the assistance both.

Previously I was trying the drivers from http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC100%20files%20 ... rivers.zip but I have also just tried the drivers from the setup_1.2115.exe - see the attached screenshots.

Regarding elevated windows permissions, the installer of UCCNC requests them but from device manager I don't get a prompt for elevated perms when updating the driver. Also I don't see an option to open the device manager as admin through the normal right click mechanism.

I'll give the drivers from 1.2113 a go but it feels like a bit of a longshot.
Attachments
code52.png
dir_select.png
installing_driver.png
davedex

Postby davedex » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:46 am

No luck with 1.2113 drivers either. Very strange if they are working for everyone else. Any other ideas anyone?
davedex

Postby dezsoe » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:27 am

The drivers in 1.2115 will not (always) work. MS made some updates/changes in the last 1-2 years and we tried to follow them. Any time we updated the drivers MS made a new twist. Now we have 3 versions of the drivers and MS returned to the original requirements, so with a fully updated Windows the old drivers work. Also, you don't need those super fancy tricks to install the driver: just disconnect the Internet, remove the driver with selecting remove driver files. Disconnect and reconnect the UCxxx controller, select the unknown device and install driver from the 1.2113 directory (and subdirectories).
dezsoe

Postby Dazp1976 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:05 pm

dezsoe wrote:The drivers in 1.2115 will not (always) work. MS made some updates/changes in the last 1-2 years and we tried to follow them. Any time we updated the drivers MS made a new twist. Now we have 3 versions of the drivers and MS returned to the original requirements, so with a fully updated Windows the old drivers work. Also, you don't need those super fancy tricks to install the driver: just disconnect the Internet, remove the driver with selecting remove driver files. Disconnect and reconnect the UCxxx controller, select the unknown device and install driver from the 1.2113 directory (and subdirectories).

This is why I prefer to stick with Windows7.
MS no longer supports it and doesn't give it updates.
Once it's fresh installed and you have all your drivers and uccnc (or mach3) up and running, it will STAY that way!!!!!!!.
Got sick of the forced updates on win10 wrecking everything.
Dazp1976

Return to Hardware