UC300ETH and KL-4030 driver help

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

UC300ETH and KL-4030 driver help

Postby Blendwood » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:19 pm

So a while back I built a 4th axis for my cnc, but because I was busy didn't get around to installing it until now. So I had assumed this would be an easy task, but it turns out something is up trying to control a KL-4030 with uc300eth and ubb1. So I had an old cnc kicking around and used one of the nema23 steppers along with a KL-4030 driver and wired the driver into the control box, 24v main power to the driver, pul- dir - to pins 1 and 14, on cn2. Pul+, dir+ to 5v+. The motor already has pre-wired whips I made almost 10 years ago now. So no issue there, just plug and play at that point. After everything was wired, I turned power on to my control box, everything powered up as normal. Opened uccnc, and went to configuration, axis, and went to B axis, checked off axis enable, set my step and dir pins, 1 and 14, on port 1 because it's on cn2. The set both to active low, adjusted my steps per, according to my setup. Then checked off rotary axis, and roll past 360, applied my settings, double checked them, and then saved them. I get no movement from my stepper at all with this KL-4030, The driver is good brought it back to my other control box, hooked it up, tested with mach3 and works fine. So checked continuity with all my connections, every is good there. Checked for power, everything is getting power. The stepper motor is locking into detent when power is applied. So then I shut everything down, disconnected the driver from cn2, and wired my existing x axis to cn2 pins 1 and 14, set it up as b axis, setup for rotary, and it works fine. So it's not cn2 thats the issue. The kl driver is working and functional as is the nema 23 stepper motor, configuration inside uccnc is correct, but for some reason will not communicate with the KL-4030 driver to send step and direction. The active low and high leds are functioning correctly on the ubb1 as well. I feel like I have covered all my bases. I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on this KL-4030 driver thing. Thanks for your time.
Blendwood

Re: UC300ETH and KL-4030 driver help

Postby fsli » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:11 am

On the KL-4030, there are dip switches to set maximum current to the motor. Did you confirm these are set correctly for the motor you're using for the 4th axis? It's not clear from your description whether the X axis motor which you say worked fine is the same as the motor you're using for the B axis. Even though you mention the stepper for the B axis locked when powered up, you don't mention testing that it steps with any other driver.
Frank
fsli

Postby Blendwood » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm

My bad, yeah the motor came off a small cnc I had setup for engraving jobs, it's been tested and fully functional. I have 3 other motors, and 3 other kl-4030 drivers, which I powered back onn with my other control box, just to double check. That setup was just running a c10 Bob, with mach3.
Blendwood

Postby Blendwood » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:01 pm

Problem solved, stupid oversight on part, and was a little less methodical than I thought I was. I had tried switching the pins, but my oversight was the fact that I switched the pins but never turned off active low. So I did have the step and dir pins swapped and had to uncheck active low for both.
Blendwood

Return to Hardware