Failed Axis??

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Failed Axis??

Postby appiuccnc » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:06 am

Hello Group

My cnc router was working well when I started to work on squaring it up.

I have a X with a slaved A xis, a Y Axis and a Z axis.

The X ( and A ) and the Z work with no problem, the Y axis when commanded to move - through a CncDrive MPG, causes the motor to " bump " ( like it move one step only ) then stops, the screen/s continue to show the axis coordinates moving though.

The power to the whole system then needs to be cycled to repeat the problem.

I am running NEMA34 closed loop steppers and have replaced both the Y axis controller and stepper, with the same fault for all hardware configurations.

I have ordered a new AXBB-E controller.

All the wiring is well connected, the connectors are well seated in their sockets.

Has anyone had a problem like this before and if so, was it the AXBB-E??

Thanks

Ed
appiuccnc

Re: Failed Axis??

Postby ger21 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:42 am

The simple way to check is to wire the Y motor to the B or C axis and try it. Double check your acceleration and velocity settings as well.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Dazp1976 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:24 pm

ger21 wrote:The simple way to check is to wire the Y motor to the B or C axis and try it. Double check your acceleration and velocity settings as well.

Afaic. The last I heard was that axis drives don't play well on the isolated outputs side. You need to use another bob connected to port#3 for more axis.

This was from what someone else said about theirs but that was when discussing adding 5th and 6th axis (B&C).
Dazp1976

Postby appiuccnc » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:05 pm

Hello Gerry

Sorry, I should have said I tried swapping the Y axis driver board / motor.

I also bought a new driver board ( box?? ) and motor, again that didn't fix the problem.

The " only " thing left seemed to be the AXBB-E, which a new one is on it's way.

I didn't change / adjust ANY step, velocity, direction....... settings in UCCNC, it was working, then it wasn't.

It is only faulty on one axis - the Y axis, as far as I can tell.

The spindle and spindle cooling can still be controlled from the AXBB-E, at least manually.

Ed
appiuccnc

Postby ger21 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:12 am

So it worked before, but now it doesn't?
You said when moving with an MPG? What about MDI or g-code?
Gerry
ger21

Postby appiuccnc » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:12 pm

Hello Gerry & all

Sorry for the delay, I did write one last week but the forum software wouldn't post it - hopefully a restart will.

Yes it was working, then it wasn't. I did try swapping the drivers and motors and it still wouldn't work.

I have now wired in a new AXBB-E and have hit another problem, I thought ( mistakenly ) that the software " read " the controller and I could just swap out the controller.

I have asked CNC Drive if i also have to buy another copy of the license but have not heard back. Since I believe the hardware is defective and is less than 12 months old IT should be covered by the warranty, having to buy a new license for a defective part seems unreasonable - we'll see.

That raises a question, I'm looking to see how to port the configuration from one " license " to another copy, there isn't anything that I can find in the software, as the new license may " see " the old config file.

Ah, the joys of cnc!

Ed
appiuccnc

Postby ger21 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:43 am

The license is not transferable, unless the original AXBB-E is destroyed. You need to contact CNC Drive about this.
Gerry
ger21

Postby appiuccnc » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:54 am

hello Gerry

Thank you for the reply, yes I thought so, but, do I need to re-input all the parameters or do you know if they are saved somewhere.

Ed
appiuccnc

Postby ger21 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:03 pm

Everything is saved in your profile.
Gerry
ger21

Postby appiuccnc » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:43 pm

Hello Gerry ( and all )

Well, after trying a new AXBB-E, stepper motor ( closed loop <<<<< that's important !!! ), driver, power supply and nothing working, I thought the only thing left was the wiring.

This is almost to painful to say but if it helps someone else I can look like an idiot!, the encoder plug into the electrical box wasn't seated properly, once it was pushed all the way home the machine worked!

So, two weeks and possibly $700.00 spent on unneeded hardware / software later the machine is back working, time to lock those plugs into place!

Thanks to all who responded and to anyone searching for a similar problem in the future, my advise is check for loose plugs first.

Ed
appiuccnc

Return to Hardware