Limit switch wiring confusion

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Limit switch wiring confusion

Postby DavidR8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:02 pm

I'm building a CNC router with two Y axis motors, one X and one Z. It has PNP NC inductive switches on both Y axis mounted on the gantry rollers with triggers at the near and far ends.
The X axis has the same type switches at either end of the gantry, and the Z has a single switch at the top.
My previous board has a pair of +, - and signal terminals for each axis so connection was dead easy.
I'm completely confused by the limit switch wiring wiring diagram in the AXBB manual
How do I connect my limit switches?
DavidR8

Re: Limit switch wiring confusion

Postby DavidR8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:34 pm

I should note that if the arrangement of limit switches is not appropriate for the AXBB I'm happy to arrange as necessary.
DavidR8

Postby cncdrive » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:17 pm

The AXBB-E also has a pair of + and - and there is a nice drawing the AXBB-E users manual which shows how to connect PNP switches.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby DavidR8 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:24 pm

Thanks, I think the part that confuses me is that my switches have a + and - and a signal wire. I'm not sure where the signal goes.
Although after looking at some other diagrams it seems the positive from the switch goes to 24v+ and the sig and - go to the 24v-
I hope someone can confirm this.
DavidR8

Postby cncdrive » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:01 am

With PNP sensor you have to power the sensor, it should have +power input and ground wire, you should connect it to the +24V and the 24V0 (ground of the 24V powersupply).
The sensor has a 3rd wire which is the output signal wire.
With a PNP sensor you have to connect that to the Input+ of the AXBB-E and the Input- has to be connected to the 24V0 (ground of the 24V powersupply).

This way if the sensor gives output then current will flow from the sensor into the optocoupler of the AXBB-E through Input+ to input- to ground.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby DavidR8 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:38 am

Thank you that was exactly the info I needed.
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my board!
DavidR8

Return to Hardware