Anybody is using UCCNC and a CNC as a 3-D printer?

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Anybody is using UCCNC and a CNC as a 3-D printer?

Postby A_Camera » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:58 pm

I know StoneyCNC made a few marketing posts and I asked a question in one of his threads about the printer head but got no answer, so I guess he is just using this forum for marketing his own self, not to help any users. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody (else) is using UCCNC and a 3-D printer converted CNC as a 3-D printer.

I am considering to have a try and would like to know about other people's experiences. Has this ever been tested for real and can be used seriously? I am considering about making a 3-D printer head holder which I could easily swap with the spindle every time I want to print something, just like I today can install a pen holder when I need to.
A_Camera

Re: Anybody is using UCCNC and a CNC as a 3-D printer?

Postby cncdrive » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Josef, StoneyCNC posted those things a long time ago, in 2014 and we suspended the forum shortly after that, because at that time we did not have time to resolve the too many spammer registrations.
And enabled the forum again only recently and the same time we fixed the spam registrations also.
So, I just wanted to say that StoneyCNC probably not monitoring this forum now, if you want to reach them then drop them an e-mail and I'm sure they will reply.

And we have a 3D printer plugin in the UCCNC which was optimised for Stepcraft.
We wrote the plugin for them and they tested it and they said it works pretty well.
I think Stepcraft also has a postprocessor for the UCCNC for the Repetierhost 3D printer CAM software,
but I never did any 3D printing myself, so I don't know much about that. I only know the theory of working. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:25 pm

Thank you Balázs. It is not really necessary for me to find StoneyCNC or contact them, otherwise I would have done that before, but when I saw their posts I became a little interested in the print head they use. Since then I have checked and there are several 3D printer heads which seems to be possible to use, so I would like to know what people are using and how well the plugin works. I know there is a plugin in UCCNC and that A axis is the filament feed, but I have not yet looked at it. It is good to know that you wrote the plugin... ;)

Anyway, I guess that Stepcraft is not required, after all, Stepcraft is just the same as any other 3 axis CNC, isn't it? I am definitely not interested in building another CNC and even less buying one, so if it is necessary to have a Stepcraft then I'd prefer buying or building a real 3-D printer instead. Right now that is not an option, since I just want to test it out for fun.
A_Camera

Postby cncdrive » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:32 pm

Yep, I think that Stepcraft's post processor is probably very similar to others'.
The only differences might be that we wrote some built-in macros to control the cooling fan speed, so the CAM inserts those macro calls in the proper lines.

And yes, the plugin controls the A-axis and handles it as the filament feed axis.
And also the plugin automatically lifts the Z up when you stop the printing, so the filament does not freeze on the workpiece when the printing is stopped for any reasons.

By contacting StoneyCNC I thought that you could ask about them about the Stepcraft 3D printer post processor and maybe some info on the 3D printer head they using.
They are nice guys, so I'm sure they will reply and help you even if you not purchasing anything from them.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:38 pm

Perhaps I will contact them later. I might as well buy a printer head from them as well as from anybody else, as long as the price is not totally unacceptable.

One thing I am wondering is how does the plugin handle the temperature monitoring? Or is that not monitored? OK, there are two analog inputs, but are these used?
A_Camera

Postby Robertspark » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:03 am

watching with interest, I'd like to know what hardware would be required to put together a 3d printer with uccnc (other than the std X,Y,Z table, steppers, drivers, etc etc).

I've got a little 6040 XYZ table with 1605 ballscrews thats boarderline for aluminium milling on rigidity, but good for laser, pcb and probably 3d printer work.

will uccnc do dual head? (2 colour or support?)

would it be a good idea to put it within a temperature controlled enclosure for a better finish?

AC, if you did a build / conversion blog, can you post a link here please and I'll follow with interest there may be others two.
Robertspark

Postby A_Camera » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:50 am

Robertspark wrote:watching with interest, I'd like to know what hardware would be required to put together a 3d printer with uccnc (other than the std X,Y,Z table, steppers, drivers, etc etc).

A 3-D printer is actually just a CNC with the spindle replaced with a printer head which releases melted plastic in a controlled way, instead of removing like a rotating cutter does, so in my opinion it should be pretty easy to convert any CNC into a 3D printer.

Robertspark wrote:I've got a little 6040 XYZ table with 1605 ballscrews thats boarderline for aluminium milling on rigidity, but good for laser, pcb and probably 3d printer work.

It is my understanding that speed and acceleration is the most important for a 3D printer, so if you have enough of that then it should be possible. My machine uses also 1605 screws, so there is an upper speed limit. If that is going to cause a problem or not, well... that remains to be seen. Anyway, I just want to test the output and the quality. If I am happy and want to do more 3D printing I will probably buy a dedicated printer later on. Another issue may be the Z clearance. I don't know if that is an issue for you, but for me that is 135mm, so I think that's going to be more than enough for me.

Robertspark wrote:will uccnc do dual head? (2 colour or support?)

The filament is fed by the stepper connected to the A axis. I assume that colour change in 3D printing is done similar to tool changing in a CNC... so my idea is to use that to trigger an output which would enable/disable a stepper driver, so for example if a driver_1 is enabled then driver_2 is disabled. Both drivers could receive the same step pulses from UCCNC, so the A axis can still feed the filament, after all, only the stepper connected to the enabled driver will actually feed the filament. Of course, such approach may need some additional effort, but I think it is feasible. Anyway, I will probably start with one single printer head.

Robertspark wrote:would it be a good idea to put it within a temperature controlled enclosure for a better finish?

I don't think it is a good idea or necessary. What is important is the melting temperature of the filament because that is effecting the quality. Not an expert in the area, but that is my understanding. The machine normally is already in a constant temperature enclosure (the room it is in), unless you keep your machine in a garage environment with the garage door constantly opening/closing during winter or some cold and windy days. Indoors in a normal environment the temperature is constant enough. Also, the melted filament must be cooled pretty fast after it is placed where it should be, so the most important part is the melting and cooling process, not where the machine is. What I know is that high humidity is also negative, but that mainly effects the storage of filament.

Robertspark wrote:AC, if you did a build / conversion blog, can you post a link here please and I'll follow with interest there may be others two.

Yes, I will keep everyone informed, but remember that this is still just a seed in my head, I still need to sow the seeds and it will take time before we can reap... ;) Right now it is just in an early phase of research and reading and sharing some premature ideas.
A_Camera

Postby bbegent » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:44 pm

I have had the idea of mount a tube next to my router and try some ceramic 3d printing. Its a bucket list idea for sure ;)
bbegent

Postby A_Camera » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:41 pm

bbegent wrote:Its a bucket list idea for sure ;)

I understand you... the 3D printer idea is on my bucket list... the problem is that the bucket is pretty full (actually, overflowing the edges) and I am not getting younger. ;)
A_Camera

Return to Hardware