P5 AC drive control

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

P5 AC drive control

Postby Spinweight » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:14 pm

This is my first post for a new installation of UC300Eth and Gecko drives into a Gerber Sabre 408 router with an IDM Controls Inc. P5 Series General Purpose AC Drive.
Here is the manual. https://manualzz.com/doc/7291098/p5--inverter-manual
This is my first time building a system like this and have never worked with servo's before.
I need to identify the 3 control wires and connect them to UCCNC. Cannot tell which wire is which to assign ports. Should I connect to a digital or analogue port?

Thank you for your help.
-Chris

Control Method
Sine wave PWM with full-range, automatic torque boost
Frequency Control Range
0.1 to 400 Hz
Frequency Accuracy
Digital command: 0.01%, Analog command: 0.1%
Frequency Setting
Resolution
Digital Operator Reference: 0.1Hz,
Analog Reference: 0.06Hz (@60Hz)
Output Freq Resolution
0.01 Hz
Frequency Setting
0 to +10VDC (20k
Ω
), 4-20mA (250
Ω
)
Accel/Decel Time
0.0 to 3600.0 sec.
(Accel/Decel time setting independently: 0.1 sec )
Braking Torque
Approx. 20%
No. of V-f Patterns
1 preset V/f pattern and 1 custom pattern
Spinweight

Re: P5 AC drive control

Postby Spinweight » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:41 pm

I've been studying the manual for my VFD and for UCCNC and UC300 and found some answers. I've learned how to get the PWM signal to the VFD and have it recognize and display the frequency reference. I've also found the open/close = start/stop circuit. But I can't get it to run. There is a setting in the VFD that is wrong somewhere and I cannot find it. I don't know how to setup this drive and need help.
Spinweight

Re: P5 AC drive control

Postby cncdrive » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:07 pm

My answers to you in email:

No, you should not set variable #172, you should not set that at all, should leave it at 0 value. If you setting it then if you program #172=value in the UCCNC then the analog voltage iwll be proportional, e.g. #172=65535 will give you 10Volts and #172=0 will give you 0Volts, but this is not what you want to do.
You should only set Spindle PWM -> analog channel, select the channel 1. or 2. depending on which channel you connected to the VFD, then the UCCNC will automatically take care to output the analog signal for the S spindle speed commands.
VFD also need a start signal to start. Set the M3 and/or M4 relay pin in the spindle setup and connect that output to the VFD start input.

You can then measure out the start signal and measure out the analog voltage and if there is a reasonable analog voltage, e.g. >0Volts and if the start signal is also OK then the motor should start.
Look out that usually in VFDs the inputs are internally pulled high and they are active low which means the start signal is active for the VFD when it is on 0Volts.
If it does not start then something is wrong with the VFD settings. Then I suggest you to check the VFD manual, look for the variables you need to set or contact the manufacturer of the VFD and ask them how to configure it for external analog voltage control.

The analog pin does seem to be putting out the variable V as it should but why does the PWM pin setting stay empty?

Because you do not need a PWM output signal which is a digital on/off periodic signal, you need an analog voltage.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Hardware