Laser/spindle combo

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Laser/spindle combo

Postby sngatlanta » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm getting ready to add a small Laser for marking to our cnc router using the Laser sold by CNCdrive folks

http://www.shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=736

Anyone want to take on the task of helping me hook it up?
Heres our setup.

UCCNC 300ETH on a UB1 board. We have a vfd for the spindle.

Can we hook the laser up to the UB1?
sngatlanta

Re: Laser/spindle combo

Postby dezsoe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:06 am

Theoretically yes. The UB1 has NPN sink outputs and the most of the laser modules have internal pull-up resistors on the TTL input. If you power the laser module and it lights on full power then it will work. The TTL connector has two pins: one for GND and one for the input. Connect laser GND to UB1 0V and laser TTL input to any of the Ynnn pins on UB1. Set up laser output to the selected output pin. When using the laser power off the spindle (VFD), because the laser output needs (for security) M3 to be turned on and you don't want your spindle to run.
dezsoe

Postby Robertspark » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:01 pm

dezsoe wrote:When using the laser power off the spindle (VFD), because the laser output needs (for security) M3 to be turned on and you don't want your spindle to run.

... or run two profiles... one for milling .... one for laser, that way M3 can be assigned for other pins in the different profile

Or use 2 x relays, that way if you run the laser you feed M3 via relay 2 (Laser operation) and if you run the mill you run M3 via relay 1 (Milling operation)

Then you use two additional M-codes of your choice to be embedded within your gcode via post processor to know when its a milling operation and when it is a laser operation. This can be done very easily via sheetcam.

.........or add a 2-way manual switch... to feed the M3 signal to the laser to to the mill accordingly ...... {requires operator to check switch position before every operation}
Robertspark

Postby sngatlanta » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks for the ideas to both of you. I wish I was better with electronics and all this made perfect sense. I think I could do 2 profiles the easiest but would prefer the 2 relays better.
I'll see if I can get it powered up the way "dozsoe" suggest then move forward fro there.
sngatlanta

Postby sngatlanta » Sun May 27, 2018 9:08 pm

I'm finally getting around to this and no luck getting the laser to come on and off.
I can power up the laser with 12v but the m3 command doesn't do anything (on or off).

I have my VFD for the spindle turned off at the switch/disconect.
I have the TTL to Y303 and GND to 0v on my UB1
Setting on Laser to Pin 3 Port 3
Any other setting I need to check?
sngatlanta

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 28, 2018 7:15 am

The M3 settings you have to set on the spindle setup page.
The Laser output is controller with the M10 and M11 and not with the M3.
So, the question is what exactly you doing and what you expecting to happen?
Please explain your connections and settings.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby sngatlanta » Mon May 28, 2018 12:42 pm

OK, I thought the m3 command would turn on and off the laser if the spindle was turned off at the power switch.

I'm wanting to be able to mark parts with the laser not cut.
Currently the laser is connected to the ub1 board as follows
TTL to Y303 witch is a sink output
GND to 0v
The 12v supply is simply manually plugged in right now.
I will be using v-carve pro to run parts with the laser. I have seen a few post processors for that but haven't run a test has of now. I was wanting to be able to turn it on and off manually to confirm my connections are correct.
sngatlanta

Postby sngatlanta » Mon May 28, 2018 1:49 pm

I did a quick test from mdi and I can turn on and off the laser m10-m11.
How do I control the on off action in v carve? How do I control the wattage at the laser for high and low?
sngatlanta

Postby ger21 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:27 pm

You'd need to write a new post for V Carve for the laser. Just replace M3 with M10, and M5 with M11, and it should work.

Not sure how your laser works, or why you need to vary the power? If you want to engrave pictures, then use the laser plugin included with UCCNC.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby sngatlanta » Mon May 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks
I don't know that I need to very power either but the need is to mark not cut for notation on plywood parts. My thinking was lower power for marking but maybe it can be done by speed control.
sngatlanta

Next

Return to Hardware