Mini Control Panel

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Mini Control Panel

Postby GF357 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:57 pm

My machine is in a less than ideal location, and one of the problems with that is the computer is not conveniently close. I have a pendant, but it doesn't do everything I need... So, I've started putting together a mini control panel that will probably mount on the side of the gantry. There's probably more switches than I need, but that'll hopefully allow me to add the things I forgot. The orange keys in the editor are tied to LEDs so you'll know when you've selected an axis, etc. The plates are 1.5mm stainless and just got dropped off, so it's time to start wiring the switches into the Teensy. The goal is to try and use another Teensy over I2C/serial/whatever inside the control enclosure and talk to the UC300ETH using ports 4 and 5 while the MPG gets it's own cable. This will allow me to jog around, turn the spindle on and off, start a loaded program, adjust/reset spindle speed and feed rate, zero an axis, override limits, reset, etc... Anyone do something similar, or did I miss something simple?

cntrlv1.jpg

cncpen1.png
GF357

Re: Mini Control Panel

Postby dezsoe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Very nice! I also made a control panel with PIC18F4550. First test, and final version.
dezsoe

Postby GF357 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 pm

dezsoe wrote:Very nice! I also made a control panel with PIC18F4550. First test, and final version.

Did you connect it to the computer running UCCNC over USB, or to the unused ports 4 and 5 on the 300ETH?
GF357

Postby dezsoe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:59 pm

It's a USB device. (HID compatible, but not keyboard emulator. Uses my own communication protocol.)
dezsoe

Postby dezsoe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:01 am

I'm planning to change to ethernet or wi-fi, because I have problems with the new 64 bit versions. But, it's only a plan today. :)
dezsoe

Postby A_Camera » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 am

dezsoe wrote:Very nice! I also made a control panel with PIC18F4550. First test, and final version.

Very nice. I also had similar plans because I have a huge pile of PIC-s of different type, including many 18F4550 chips. I was very active with PIC programming and had several projects/products before but changed priorities so now, they are all collecting dust in my desk drawer. Maybe one day I'll open my drawer and go back for a little PIC programming.
A_Camera

Postby GF357 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:12 am

dezsoe wrote:It's a USB device. (HID compatible, but not keyboard emulator. Uses my own communication protocol.)

Once I get my control pad working, I'm thinking of using an RPI3 to drive a small display, and have it talk over rs485. No real need for something like that other than it allows me to watch the spindle and look up at the gantry to see the small screen. I had wanted to do an all in one mini control panel + display with the GPIO pins on the RPi, but I think I read that to use the GPIO as an HID keyboard you needed an actual keyboard plugged in to one of the USB ports. I had a stack of Teensy's sitting around and no RPi's, so I went with that. Just need to find a handful of custom key caps or some relegendables...
GF357

Return to Hardware