Wiring diagram for UC400ETH with HDBB2

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Wiring diagram for UC400ETH with HDBB2

Postby CyclopsNC » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:59 pm

Is there any wiring diagram for connecting the UC400ETH with the HDBB2 breakout board.
1. How to connect the HDBB2 to the UC400ETH
2. How to connect the stepper drivers and other I/O to the HDBB2.
Basically I have 3 stepper drivers TB6600 that I want to connect to the HDBB2, apart from that I may want to connect an E-stop input, and probably some limit switches.
Thanks in advance!
CyclopsNC

Re: Wiring diagram for UC400ETH with HDBB2

Postby cncdrive » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 pm

1.) With a piece of IDC26 to IDC26 ribbon cable. Like this: http://www.shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=421
2.) Depends on your stepper drive. Usually like this:
Stepper drive (pulse+) --- HDBB2 RJ45 axis connector pin 1.(step)
Stepper drive (dir+) --- HDBB2 RJ45 axis connector pin 2.(dir)
Stepper drive (pulse-) --- HDBB2 RJ45 axis connector pin 3.(gnd)
Stepper drive (dir-) --- HDBB2 RJ45 axis connector pin 3.(gnd)

How to connect different sensors and switches and buttons is shown, drawn in the HDBB manual: http://cncdrive.com/downloads/HDBB2_manual.pdf

In the UCCNC every inputs are equivalent and freely configurable and every outputs are also equivalent and freely configurable, so it does not matter to which input and what you connect. You can configure things in software according to your connections...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby CyclopsNC » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:06 am

Many thanks for your quick response I really appreciate it.
IDC cable is not a problem.
But do I really need to use the RJ45 cables for the stepper drivers. Can I use the screw terminals instead? Or are the 4axis hard wired to the 4 RJ45 connectors.
Secondly I am planning to power the stepper drives and motors @ 36VDC. How much voltage do I need to provide to the UC400ETH and the HDBB2?
CyclopsNC

Postby ger21 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm

There are manuals for these devices that have all that information in them....
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Robertspark » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:20 pm

CyclopsNC wrote:But do I really need to use the RJ45 cables for the stepper drivers.

Yes, it is by far the best solution, either terminate your own leads or cut up two ethernet cables. and it will give you 4 suitable leads.

CyclopsNC wrote:Can I use the screw terminals instead?

No

CyclopsNC wrote:Or are the 4axis hard wired to the 4 RJ45 connectors.

Yes

CyclopsNC wrote:Secondly I am planning to power the stepper drives and motors @ 36VDC. How much voltage do I need to provide to the UC400ETH and the HDBB2?

12 volts, get a seperate power supply. It is not good in my opinion to share the power supply between the drives and the motion controller {each to their own YMMV}

What Gerry said.... RTFM, cnc is a complex business as there are many many things that can catch you out when it does not do what you want it to do or you get noise or setup issues. The CNCDrive manuals are really good and detailed (unlike some competitors information / lack of). wiring up an HDBB2 with 4 RJ45's is really basic and the fastest way to wire up drives, almost error free (check your wiring colours + pins for each connector if you cut up 2 network cables).
Robertspark

Postby CyclopsNC » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 am

Many thanks for all the advice given here, I truly appreciate it!
As adviced I will for further information in the manuals of the relevant devices.
However the information provided here is highly valuable and helped me gain understanding of how to wire up these devices.
Many thanks again.
Sincerely!
CyclopsNC

Postby CyclopsNC » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Ok, I'm stuck up again at some step and need to confirm that everthing is OK before I go ahead with the wiring.
My stepper drivers are TB6600 based and the control inputs are
PULSE+
PULSE-
DIR+
DIR-
ENABLE+
ENABLE-

While I see that the Axis RJ45 connectors have
1. Step
2. Dir
3. LPT ground
4. NC
5. Reset
6. ERROR (Bidirectional)
7. DC Power +
8 DC Power -

1. I understood the Pulse+ and Dir+ will go the pins 1 and 2. So will Pulse- and Dir- go Pin 3?
2. How do I wire up Enable+ and Enable- pins on the driver, do I just hard wire it to +5V (Is +5V available on the HDBB2?).
3. Does the HDDB2 have 5V compatible outputs, so that I can connect it to the driver directly?
4. How do I use the other pins on the RJ45 like Reset, Error and DCPower?

Thanks and Advance!
CyclopsNC

Postby Robertspark » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:47 pm

CyclopsNC wrote:My stepper drivers are TB6600 based

Word of caution {I started with those drives}, they don't like back EMF or being driven anywhere near their rated voltage (I've popped 4 in a short space of time and gave up on them and went with some good quality drives. This forum thread is worth considering {they got fed up with the questions relating to the Toshiba TB6600 and their slightly smaller brothers (TB6560's) they pinnned the thread on the forum lol
http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/1373-eBa ... ver-Boards

CyclopsNC wrote:1. I understood the Pulse+ and Dir+ will go the pins 1 and 2. So will Pulse- and Dir- go Pin 3?

Yes
CyclopsNC wrote:2. How do I wire up Enable+ and Enable- pins on the driver, do I just hard wire it to +5V (Is +5V available on the HDBB2?).

You don't, you can just let if float most do not use the enable connection.
CyclopsNC wrote:3. Does the HDDB2 have 5V compatible outputs, so that I can connect it to the driver directly?

Yes
CyclopsNC wrote:4. How do I use the other pins on the RJ45 like Reset, Error and DCPower?

You don't need them, they are for drives that have other functions, like providing error feedback, and some need a power supply for the enable feedback as its a relay / optoisoloator.
Robertspark

Postby CyclopsNC » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Many thanks Robertspart,
That link is amazing, it will give insights on the TB6600. I was planning to run it on 36VDC (there is 40V printed on the enclosure), and have already bought a 36V, 15A power supply. Now that you say it, I may have to cut it down to 24VDC.

At what voltage where you running these when they blew off?

The just skimmed through the first few entries of that link and they are pretty profound, especially forced air cooling of the TB6600 to improve their heat dissipation.

Can we add some additional components to stop these drivers from blowing up, I have bought around 10 of these drivers, hopefully I want to make some good use of them.

And lastly when you talk of better drivers do you mean Gecko standard drivers, or are there any equivalent ones?
CyclopsNC

Postby cncdrive » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:18 pm

CyclopsNC,

Did you read my first post about the step/dir connections? I have already answered your wiring question in that post.

It is an interesting question to know at what voltage the TB6600 will blow off.
I think it depends on if it is a real TB6600 or a chinese knockoff and how good or bad they designed the board.
If they designed it carefully and properly and did not save on parts cost then it should work upto 50 Volts.
But they might use lower rating components e.g. lower voltage rated capacitors and they might design the layout badly which could derate the whole drive voltage rating.
The best thing you can do is to follow the manufacturer's posted rating. If they said it works upto 40Volts then it is probably true, except if they don't know what they are manufacturing and selling which often happens with cheap chinese electronics unfortunately.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Next

Return to Hardware