Macro_capability_detailed.htm - suggested corrections

This section is for Users that want to create and share Documentation about UCCNC.

Re: Macro_capability_detailed.htm - suggested corrections

Postby ger21 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:38 am

ADDED the two Gerry provided, thanks,

Actually provided by Terry, I just passed them along... :D
Gerry
UCCNC 2017 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html
ger21

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks anyway Gerry for posting them here (it reminded me of them)

If anyone wants anything else added, please let me know.

Update on where its at:

At the moment I'm adding things (functions) to the manual as they are found, but I'd like them confirmed by cncdrive as I don't want to supersede any of their information or have conflicting information as it with just lead to ambiguity (hence everything in the manual that I've added or edited is highlighted yellow) Hence I'm not planning on issuing an update until this is done.

I'm also trying to ensure that all functions have the same parameters where they align .... i.e • posX and posY defines the top-left corner position of the codeview control. ..... as there were a few that used Xposition & Yposition etc.... those sorts of uniform things.

I started a simple c# supplement / section to be added within the manual [bare bones layout, no formatting really], but have not progressed that in a week as I did feel a bit of a muppet :roll: :lol: :roll: over a switch/case statement and being told one thing that they don't work in macros .... only to be demonstrated something else .... that they do...
Rob
Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself”
...working my way through the 1000+ ways things don't work to find the one that does
UC400eth, UC300eth, UCCNC v1.2106, Neuron Lite
UCCNC v1.2105 Macro Manual
Robertspark

Postby Vmax549 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Hiya Robert, One thing you will learn about teh DIY CNC world is Documents are not their thing. One thing I learned a LONG time ago is you have to learn most of it yourself through experimentation Along the way you will learn more about what does NOT work and why than you do about what does work and why.

With Mach3 MOST of the docs were created by users as ART was not big on documentation. With Mach3 Art would from time to time send us a copy of PART of the source code where Functions were defined. THEN we could go to work playing with it all to see exactly what did what.

Unfortunately with UCCNC it is not written in the same manner so there is no real definition file to see. To see teh Function definitions you would also see the source code. AND I don't think that is going to happen (;-)

With UCCNC at this point I would rather have them working on new FUNCTIONS in UCCNC rather than building/updating a master Manual with all the bells a whistles.

CNCdrive is good at providing teh basic DOCs and keeping them updated as they release new versions.

Besides HELPING with the manuals will keep you out of trouble late at night. AND your manuals DO LOOK NICE .

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Haha, yeah its keeping me out of trouble late at night.

I've got no problem doing it as I'm always learning (more macros and code I create the better I get at it), I'd just like comments so the functions are written out correctly and there is little miss-information (there is enough of that on the internet without me adding to it).

I'm going to have a look at the plugin this weekend to see what functions are listed in there, no doubt there may be some undocumented possibly.... but that also helps by providing the parameters and their datatypes via tooltip .... so I do have a idea :idea:

I'd rather have cncdrive developing uccnc than creating manuals too ;)

Impressed by your conversational wizard screens (fancy having a go at one of them at some point)
Rob
Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself”
...working my way through the 1000+ ways things don't work to find the one that does
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:12 pm

With UCCNC at this point I would rather have them working on new FUNCTIONS in UCCNC rather than building/updating a master Manual with all the bells a whistles.

The problem is that only half of the functions are even listed anywhere.
I don't really care if there's a manual or not, but we should at least get a list of all of the functions.

Just because there were no docs for Mach3, doesn't mean it should be the norm. Help the users out at least a little, as they're the ones who will make the software more popular.
Gerry
ger21

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:21 pm

ger21 wrote:The problem is that only half of the functions are even listed anywhere.

I don't think that's quite correct.... there are a few missing / not listed ... at least they are being "discovered" or listed now.

I guess its relative to perspective, but stuff always falls through the gaps.... just catching it before the gaps get too big

The screenset stuff that I "found" I don't think is really necessary these days because of the graphical screen editor.... but I may be wrong

I have noticed that addmdi() function is not used with the current screensets.... not sure why though?
Rob
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:40 pm

I don't think that's quite correct.... there are a few missing / not listed ... at least they are being "discovered" or listed now.

I meant in the official docs. In those, there's a lot of stuff missing.

The screenset stuff that I "found" I don't think is really necessary these days because of the graphical screen editor.... but I may be wrong

Those you can find by looking at the screenset file. The only one I needed was the Add Codeview, because you can't add one in the screen editor. Probably an oversight....
Gerry
ger21

Postby Vmax549 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:11 pm

I agree that there is some stuff missing but I would not say a LOT is missing. I get to see both sides of teh code functions Plugin/UCcnc. Actually anybody can with VS studio simply use teh intelliSense function it will SHOW you all teh known calls you have available. You just have to remember not ALL of those were brought over to the USER side , Some of those are for the PLugin side ONLY (UC.) Sometimes for good reasons.

There are a few things you guys are missing and I will dig those out for you. Basically there are things that make your programming easier. You can still do the basic function it just handles the responce a bit different.

I fully believe the Screen editor will get better over time . As is is serves the average user well. Though not perfect for a screen developer.
Vmax549

Postby ger21 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:45 pm

I'll try messing with visual studio this weekend to see.

I think I'll throw together a basic list with the functions only, on a short, simple document.

The screen designer is fine for me as is. It could be refined a little, but it's probably already better than Screen 4. Fixing the Tab order of selected item properties would make it a LOT better, with just a few minutes of work.

I also would prefer the developers to add functionality. As long as we can get the info we need. I don't really care how basic it is.
Gerry
ger21

Postby Robertspark » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Off topic question

Anyone know of a way to extract visual studio intellisense tooltips?
Rob
Robertspark

PreviousNext

Return to User Documentation