UCCNC and Neuron Lite

This is the place to talk about and share things related to CNC plasma machines using UCCNC

Re: UCCNC and Neuron Lite

Postby Robertspark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:26 pm

mighty_mike015 wrote:Can you elaborate more on the new AXBB_E board option; how it would then incorporate more of the macros? That is the one I figure I would go with. Whether I need all the bells and whistles is up for debate. Looks like the M209 would be very handy.
s

I'll come back to the other part of the question seperatly, but the above quote....

The AXBB_E motion controller + BOB does not incorperate any more macros the macros are available to ALL UC motion controllers (except some of the M10.1 > M10.10 macros to the UC100 which is too small memory wise internally)

By UC motion controllers I mean.... UC300ETH and UC400ETH.... they all have the same macros available.
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 pm

M209/M210 is not used with the Neuron as such (you can use it instead of M205/M206 but not at the same time)

Because the neuron only has and only requires 1 digital high speed input from UCCNC it can only use 1 macro to enable / disable THC...... which one you use it up to you.

The other Macros M211/M212, M207/M208 are only used where you have a THC controller feeding THC UP and THC DN and ARC OK signals into UCCNC via one of the UC (or AXBB_E) motion controllers..... such as if you used a miniTHC.... or a Proma 150 THC or a PriceCNCTHC

Each of those output ARCOK, THCUP and THCDN back to UCCNC and UCCNC controls the Z-axis motion.
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:46 pm

mighty_mike015 wrote:The M3 only senses material, pierces, issues ARC ok to continue XY motion.

Yes, it will probe the top of the material, set the z-axis to zero, retract to the pierce height, fire the torch, wait for the arc OK, wait for the pierce delay (if set required), drop to cut height (whilst issuing the ARCOK signal to UCCNC so that XY motion begins).

mighty_mike015 wrote: If I want any THC at all then the M205 must be called as well? By default the M3 will not vary Z height with XY motion? The M205 will enable that?

Yes, that is correct the THC within the Neuron is controlled via the high speed digital input NOT by M3....

This allows you to add code snippets where you want to disabled the THC/AVC where you don't want it to operate (i.e. if the motion is too slow / low at corners or where you slow down for arcs less than 1").

The neuron knows nothing about the XY motion it just knows that you want the torch to cut with M3 and stop cutting with M5, so it does everything with M3 to set up the machine to cut and then hands XY control to UCCNC to tell UCCNC to run. .... once the M5 happens it stops the torch and retracts the z-axis.

The THC bit is all controlled via the hardware pin..... although the neuron does have "kerf detect" and "Lock Head Down" which are internal sensing functions detailed within the Neuron Manual (pdf pg 23/45)
http://neuroncnc.com/assets/components/ ... Manual.pdf
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:57 pm

PriceCNC THC seem to be doing quite well at the moment (they are similar to the Proma but I would suggest probably much better in operation given they are being recommended on Plasmaspider these days a bit).

https://www.pricecnc.com/

They I believe are Irish made (Dublin) , and I suspect (or though not seen inside of one) they are probably prototryped on an arduino board given the components that seem to fabricate it (the case, buttons / switches, potentiometer / encoder, LCD and menus etc). the PriceCNC does have a very comprehensive manual.... but all of the others English is a second language so they you'd expect it to be comprehensive. https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/2c7593_0 ... 3084bf.pdf

Not owned one and not likely to but I'd recommend them over the Proma 150 http://proma-elektronika.com/index.php/ ... ct-thc-150 and below the miniTHC http://minithc.com/ (which I did use and still have).
Robertspark

Postby beefy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:35 am

Robertspark wrote:M209/M210 is not used with the Neuron as such (you can use it instead of M205/M206 but not at the same time)

Because the neuron only has and only requires 1 digital high speed input from UCCNC it can only use 1 macro to enable / disable THC...... which one you use it up to you.

Hi Rob,

I use diode auctioneering to effectively create an OR gate. That way I could have for example 9 outputs all going to the 1 Neuron HOLD input. If ANY of the 9 outputs go active, the Neuron HOLD input gets a high signal.
I use low voltage drop Schottky diodes to minimise the voltage loss at the Neuron. In action I got 4.1v at the Neuron HOLD input and it works good. Today I've just completed hardware installation and software installation for a UC300ETH/UB1 combo with Neuron Lite and tested the diode auctioneering. Works a treat.

My ASSUMPTION of the UCCNC anti-dive output pin is that it goes active whenever the UCCNC anti-dive is active. So for example, if the Anti-dive setting was at 90% and your feedrate was 1000 mm/min, if the feedrate dropped below 900 mm/min then the anti-dive output would go active, and would de-activate once the feedrate went over 900 mm/min.

As for the Anti-down, I assume it's a synchronous output directly controlled by M211/M212 commands in the gcode, just like M205/M206 synchronously controls the THC Enable output pin.

If so, you can have all 3 signals acting to control the Neuron HOLD input. That's how I've got mine wired now.

Keith.
beefy

Postby Robertspark » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks for that one Keith, I learnt something new I did not think about + is an easy addition to add {I was kind of disappointed that I was not able to use some of the inbuit UCCNC stuff with the nuron such as M209/M210 which is beneficial for corners and junctions between linear <> angular / angular <> angular motion, with the digital input inhibit the neron appeared to lack some interface with the programmed XY motion unless it was by code snippet via post processor input}
______________________________________________________________________________________

I've been trying to sort out a plasma amperage adjustment on the fly using M10 Qxxx with the PWM signal controlling the amperage setting so I could adjust the amperage at corners and arcs if I so wanted {I am not sure if it will improve the cut in the end, given the adjustment will be small} I am waiting for the last of a set of components as I've had a few iterations as its a Powermax 45 (non-XP), plus I am not using modbus or RS485 serial which is available on some plasma cutters (45xp, 65, 85, 105) via interface card as it would be too slow to do on the fly .... hence using M10 Qxxx via PWM.

The PWM is converted to 4-20mA (as it has a high noise immunity), and then the 4-20mA is converted to 0-5V within the PMX45 (with error to account for open circuit on the 4-20mA), and then a digital 1k pot is driven via SPI.
a separate digial output is provided to switch (via analog switch [think of it as a NC/NO relay]) between PMX built in pot and UCCNC output PWM.
there is various bits of isolation and isolated power supplies etc to run the interface as I obviously don't want to kill the PMX45, but its worth a shot for me.
Robertspark

Postby beefy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 am

Sounds like it should work good Rob.

I know of changing the amps during cutting, and I believe some Hypertherms can also have the air pressure remotely controlled too.

However, never really heard anything about actual results and how it affects things. I do like the concept of reducing amps/pressure during a thick pierce to help with molten blowback, but once again haven't heard anyone giving real life examples of doing it.
beefy

Postby mighty_mike015 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Robertspark wrote:M209/M210 is not used with the Neuron as such (you can use it instead of M205/M206 but not at the same time)

The other Macros M211/M212, M207/M208 are only used where you have a THC controller feeding THC UP and THC DN and ARC OK signals into UCCNC via one of the UC (or AXBB_E) motion controllers..... such as if you used a miniTHC.... or a Proma 150 THC or a PriceCNCTHC

Each of those output ARCOK, THCUP and THCDN back to UCCNC and UCCNC controls the Z-axis motion.

Alrighty, So I got the Neuron profile loaded in UCCNC. I see the THC enable output pin is 14 port 2 Active Low. If go to the I/O trigger screen and set pin 14 port 2 to Code 233 (On when in THC control and the anti diving happens) leaving low unchecked, then I could run an M3 and M209 and the torch would fire and THC would be active until the anti-dive threshold occurs and the the THC would be remove and then reinstated when the anti-dive is no longer below threshold. Then M210, M5 at the end of the cut?
mighty_mike015

Postby shizyo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:46 pm

Robertspark wrote:
The AXBB_E motion controller + BOB does not incorperate any more macros the macros are available to ALL UC motion controllers (except some of the M10.1 > M10.10 macros to the UC100 which is too small memory wise internally)

By UC motion controllers I mean.... UC300ETH and UC400ETH.... they all have the same macros available.

Hi, I am also thinking about using the new AXBB-E board or UC300ETH-UB1 for a new plasma CNC table(with Neuron Lite or Simplicity) but not sure if the AXBB-E board and Neuron thc will fit together? Could we connect the AXBB-E to Neuron thc the same as UC300ETH or UC400ETH and use of the UC300ETH or UC400ETH screenset in UCCNC? But still, we could not use the macros that are available to UC300ETH/UC400ETH in the AXBB-E board?
shizyo

Postby cncdrive » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:59 am

The macros are common for all ethernet controllers. The USB controller (UC100) is which is a bit different, it has limited processor capability, but all the ethernet controllers (UC300ETH, UC400ETH, AXBB-E) using the same processors and same codes etc. so all can run the same macros.
cncdrive
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to CNC Plasma