Anyone know if Neuron forum is dead ???

This is the place to talk about and share things related to CNC plasma machines using UCCNC

Re: Anyone know if Neuron forum is dead ???

Postby beefy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:38 pm

If Andrew would sort out the instructions and documentation I think he would start to make a lot more $$$$$$$$ in sales. Plus a few basic Youtube videos showing setup, installation, etc, instead of just a plasma table doing some cutting.

When I was first looking for a plasma system, it was the documentation that attracted me to Candcnc. It was clear and detailed and that gave me confidence in Candcnc as a company.

When something has poor instructions you associate it with the likes of equipment that comes out of China, and you can't get it going because of lack of documentation. That will no doubt scare many potential customers away.
beefy

Postby Robertspark » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:51 pm

The Cyrillic writing is because of the constructor and destructor (M99998.txt and M99999.txt) macros. They are not used by the lite....... only for the pro....
also to confuse matters Neuron have their own breakout board which I think they developed for an OEM + the Neuron Pro
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:52 pm

I think he is doing a LOT of OEM work at the moment.... customers is not a problem.
Robertspark

Postby beefy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:35 am

UPDATE

Starting to get somewhere.

I installed software / firmware from beginning of 2018.

First thing to note is when you do an update from the Dropbox files, all your profile settings are wiped out and you need to redo them. Talking about the UCCNC settings (axis, estop, limits, etc).

Secondly the Neuron settings are changed when you update the firmware. I had to re-enter the Z steps/mm etc. As for my main problem of not being able to manually jog the Z, I noticed the "Tip Touch" and "Arc OK" LEDs were on when the system is first started up. In the Neuron diagnostics, these were set as NC (normally closed) since the firmware update. I unticked the boxes and voila, I could now jog.

Next I tried the latest software/firmware from Dropbox (16 Dec 18). This does not appear to work. When I click on the Neuron button, no box pops up. I access the Neuron settings from the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Even after changing the NC setting to NO, I still cannot jog.

So it appears the latest (best ???) update does not work.

Keith.
beefy

Postby Robertspark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:19 am

There are a few screenshot versions in the Dropbox folder, not only lite, pro, English and Russian, but one for a couple of OEM CNC manufacturers...... The problem with those is they call the neuron plugin with another button code :( .... I've been through a lot of the screenshots, and neuron.dlls because I was curious what features other versions had. There are a couple of differences between the English and Russian lite and the pro versions (excluding the pro added functions)

I have a manual for the neuron uccnc screnset as I did have a go at creating a new one.... My OCD was not happy with the screens behind the main screenset I'll see if I can find it. (think I have one for uccnc too...)
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:27 am

these were done a little while ago, they are only useful if you have a neuron lite!!!

The image references will not match the dropbox screenset!
basically I tried to change the screenset so it only used the default uccnc bmp file and a small secondary file with the changed images to allow the neuron to always have the latest screenset.
but it may be of help if you want to look under the bonnet.

I had intentions to change the screenset to improve visibility when using green tinted protective eyeware but I've never managed to get around to it. (one screen for "normal", and a second when wearing shade 5 glasses
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boll%C3%A9-BAN ... lp_pl_dp_6
Attachments
Neuron Screen Images - Compressed - UCv1_2045.pdf
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 870 times
UCCNC NEURON LITE PLUGIN.pdf
(322.01 KiB) Downloaded 878 times
Robertspark

Postby beefy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Rob, I've sent you an email.
beefy

Postby asuratman » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Will you continue using this neuron THC ? Good hardware but no support will be too difficult. I plan to build one for cutting thin plate less than 5/8".
asuratman

Postby Robertspark » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes I will continue to use the neuron for the time being. I am a little disappointed though with the development as I feel that we English speakers have been forgotten now neuron have their own bob for the uc300eth and are selling the neuron pro very well as well as various OEM plasma table manufacturers.

It is reliant upon a fixed screenshot tab #55 which I suspect will end up having problems as uccnc is being developed further
Robertspark

Postby beefy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:00 pm

asuratman wrote:Will you continue using this neuron THC ? Good hardware but no support will be too difficult. I plan to build one for cutting thin plate less than 5/8".

Based on my experiences and talking with other users of the Neuron Lite, I am now feeling forced to get back to developing my own THC. The main problem I have is not so much lack of support but more a case of chaotic support. Simple, clear, and up to date documentation should not need to be asked for, it should be automatic. Add a feature, then update the manual and make it available online. Give simple clear written instructions on how to install the Neuron files in the UCCNC folders

I asked Andrey a year ago if the user manual would be getting updated. It still looks the same and is based around Mach3. I still cannot understand how a developer can put all that time into developing hardware and software yet cannot keep a user manual up to date.

I'm pretty sure at some point I also mentioned about making some instructional videos to show setup, operation of various capabilities, etc, but all there seems to be on the Neuron channel is some basic videos of it cutting and hole marking.

When I received my Neuron there was no information on how to install the necessary files from Dropbox. I had to email and ask to find out. That should simply not be necessary. The first thing you notice when you see the Dropbox folder is all sorts of files/folders, including various Coreldraw files. Explanations next to nothing. There are zipped folders, files with the same name in other folders, etc. Such a mixed bunch of files/folders should at least have a readme file clearly explaining what is what.

The Neuron support forum is now gone so all support is by emailing/messaging Andrey. It would be good to have the forum to see what problems other users have had and how they were fixed.

I recently received a new set of files from Andrey but they gave me pop up messages in Russian, I could not jog the Z axis with the screen buttons, and the button that makes the Neuron settings box pop up did not work. I tried the latest files from the Dropbox folder but had issues with them too. I ended up using some files that are about a year or more older and now can jog, etc, and seem to have basic operation again.

Yesterday I was doing some cutting and using the hole center marking feature. It was working good then I got a flameout at the end of a cut. After that, the hole marking kept repeating continuously at the same spot. I re-powered the Neuron but no change. So I restarted UCCNC, no change. Finally I restarted the computer itself and that cured the problem. Later I got another flameout and the hole marking problem re-appeared.

I forgot to set the THC Delay in the Neuron (it was set at 0.3 sec) and so I got a flameout at the pierce point when the torch dived. The pierce had already made a hole so when I tried to run the file again an arc would not establish and the Neuron could not get its Arc OK signal that it needs to carry on running. This is one thing I miss with the Neuron, control of the Z axis, the piercing, etc via gcode. If I had control of the Z via gcode, I could simply turn off THC, and edit that pierce code so that the torch touched off, went straight to cut height, fired and motion instantly started. With the Neuron you can't do such a thing because the settings are "global" and are applied to every pierce. So the Neuron wants to go to pierce height, wait for the pierce delay, then go to cut height and start cutting. Of course that wouldn't work when you're trying to fire the torch into an existing hole.

Andrey is very helpful but I feel a lot of the question asking could be avoided if documentation and instructions existed for ALL aspects, i.e. installation, general operation, and new features as they are developed. He is also very quick to mention new features. All good but show me documentation, videos, etc showing how to use those in the software and I'll start gaining some confidence.

Take a look at Cancnc documentation and support forum, or Arclight Youtube channel. That is what is needed for the Neuron.

Summary - hardware very good, software very good when you get it working properly, and good features (torch refire, puddle jump, etc), support/documentation/install files chaotic, no support forum. And just my opinion but really miss direct control of Z axis via gcode.

Of course I will keep on using the Neuron Lite as I don't have another system just sitting there to swap out to. But like I said, I'm back to developing my own system that I will have full control of.
beefy

PreviousNext

Return to CNC Plasma