Huanyang Plugin

This is where you talk about Plugins. How they are made and how they work, show examples.

Re: Huanyang Plugin

Postby MRob » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Adding message to add my experience to the knowledge base, in case in might be useful for anyone. In brief...

In more detail:
1 - Worked fine in Windows 10, I think. But I was having problems with my laptop (crash to desktop, losing connection with AXBB, couldnt resolve any of it) so I built a desktop from old gaming components, installed windows 7, and quickly started getting "index outside the bounds of the array" errors thrown up relating to this plugin. Mostly I could just ignore the error, but after a couple of days it came up again, I hit continue and UCCNC lost connection with the inverter. Reinstalled software, .net framework, rolled back .net to previous version, none of which helped. Fortunately I had other USB RS485 adaptors to try, as in the past I'd had a lot of issues with #2 adaptor randomly dying after a month of two of use when using mach, so I'd stocked up on different models.
2 - Tried this next, connected fine, span up and span down, spindletalker also happy. But at the end of my first cutting program, the spindle didnt spin down, and UCCNC had lost connection.
3 - Requires different drivers, different chip manufacturer (FT232R chip). 2 days in right now and all good, no error, no disconnections etc.

So, if anyone has problems, especially in windows 7, suggest trying adaptor #3 above...
MRob

Postby Demusman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:58 pm

Why wouldn't you post a link to the adapter so we know which one you're talking about??
Can barely see it in the photo.
Demusman

Postby ger21 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:30 pm

The only issue I had with the #2 adapter (from Amazon) was that the USB plug was rather loose fitting, and could lose connection if you moved it or the wires a little.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:01 pm

I think it is great that you posted this with pictures because these are all generic Chinese USB to serial devices and so they can be bought on Amazon, ebay, aliexpress, banggood etc.
So, pictures helps more than showing purchase links.
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Demusman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:04 pm

cncdrive wrote:So, pictures helps more than showing purchase links.

Really?? So by that picture alone, what is the model number of the third image?
Demusman

Postby ger21 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:14 pm

Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:30 pm

I don't know the type number unfortunately, but there are 3 pictures of 3 very different looking devices, so at least you know what 2 not to buy by it's looking.
On e-bay Amazon etc. there are always pictures in the listing which makes you aware how the product looks.
Ofcourse it is still possible that there is a similar looking bad controller which looks similar to the promoted good working one, but at least we now know what looking devices not to buy.
And thankfully Gerry posted an e-bay link. The only problem with these links is that when the listing ends after some time the link will no more work and it will go to a different listing which e-bay selects from it's database. So, later this link might start pointing to a different device. This is why I don't like to link to E-bay, Amazon etc., this is why I said that the pictures are probably more helpful. Maybe if there is a manufacturer website then the link to that would be the most helpful, but this seems to be a "generic Chinese" device and these usually do not have a "manufacturer". :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Demusman » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:39 pm

cncdrive wrote:I don't know the type number unfortunately, but there are 3 pictures of 3 very different looking devices, so at least you know what 2 not to buy by it's looking.
On e-bay Amazon etc. there are always pictures in the listing which makes you aware how the product looks.
Ofcourse it is still possible that there is a similar looking bad controller which looks similar to the promoted good working one, but at least we now know what looking devices not to buy.
And thankfully Gerry posted an e-bay link. The only problem with these links is that when the listing ends after some time the link will no more work and it will go to a different listing which e-bay selects from it's database. So, later this link might start pointing to a different device. This is why I don't like to link to E-bay, Amazon etc., this is why I said that the pictures are probably more helpful. Maybe if there is a manufacturer website then the link to that would be the most helpful, but this seems to be a "generic Chinese" device and these usually do not have a "manufacturer". :)

So then how is a picture better than a link to the actual item?
No need to reply, point made.

By the way, I use the second one with no problems at all.
Demusman

Postby MRob » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:31 pm

Apologies for not replying sooner, actually checked this thread for a day or two after posting and then assumed I'd get email notification for replies, but looks like I needed to check the box, oops. Anyway. As for posting a link to the adaptor, well first I bought it over a year ago, and second if you can find one that looks like the adaptor in the pic and has the chip I mention on it, you'll probably be good. Had a look on my adaptor just now for a model number, nothing there, but again, I listed the chip it uses, so check for that. If you need a bigger picture, maybe dont use a mobile device?! All I can suggest.. But perhaps more important is the idea that if someone is having problems with a specific adaptor (and I see other people posting with issues that sound familiar), they try a different one, and if possible look for the one I've recommended.

Most people use 2 without issue though yes - but in this case it failed on what was an entirely clean windows 7 build, on a computer that is well over specced for CNC work. Not sure why, I can only think that there might be some other interactions with the USB chip on the PC motherboard. Which sounds a bit odd, especially for something which should be so simple, and it is a bad comparison because of the levels of complexity, but I know there are serious issues with different USB chipsets for people who try to connect oculus quest up to PC. I have no experience with programming USB etc comms, but it's the only thing I can suggest as to why!
MRob

Postby MRob » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:17 pm

Aside, thinking more about this, poorly tested drivers seem the most likely the cause of the issues I was seeing. #3 above has a chip made by FDTI, a Scottish company who were the only manufacturer of these types of chips for a long time, whereas #1 and #2 use the CH341D chip made by WCH, a Chinese company founded in 2008. Wouldnt surprise me if they didnt fully bug check for different USB chipsets, or even just copied sections of the FDTI code. But this is just my uninformed opinion, people who know more might correct me, take it for what it is worth.
MRob

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins