XBox 360 plugin update

This is where you talk about Plugins. How they are made and how they work, show examples.

Re: XBox 360 plugin update

Postby spumco » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:54 am

UPDATE

Reverted to version 1.0003 and ran a few programs. No jumping during slow continuous jogging, and when I switched back and forth a few times between UCCNC, Fusion, HSM Advisor, Chrome, etc. it didn't disconnect or lose the step function when I went back to UCCNC.

The UCCNC built-in plugin worked fine, no issues observed.

To clarify my earlier post, the 'disconnect' wasn't full disconnection of the joystick. Just that all step buttons quit working as intended; if I pressed the 4-way x/y step button at an angle (both at once) both axis would move in continuous mode at the same time. Same thing for the Z button - press the Z-step button and nothing happens; hold it down and press another step button and the Z starts moving in continuous mode (and 'safety' triggers not pressed).

Note - Keyboard and on-screen step jogging also failed to work - so this problem may have nothing to do with Eric's plugin but is some glitch in UCCNC or my particular combination of Win8 & UCCNC.

The joysticks and the other buttons still worked during this situation. Only solution was to close UCCNC and re-start.

This wasn't an exhaustive test, so no conclusions. I'll continue with the earlier version for a while and report back what happens.

Regards,
Spumco
spumco

Postby cncdrive » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:37 am

Note - Keyboard and on-screen step jogging also failed to work - so this problem may have nothing to do with Eric's plugin but is some glitch in UCCNC or my particular combination of Win8 & UCCNC.

Could you explain this a bit more detailed?
What "failed to work means"?
I verified and step jogging and keyboard jogging works fine here even if I switch between different software windows and switching back.
Did you test it with the plugin enabled? I mean plugins can even fully disable jogging, so it also can be a plugin problem, but you can verify to see with disabling the plugin and test the same.
Another possibility for the issue is if the UCCNC window is not in focus, then the keyboard hotkeys are not working, but this is done on purpose and I'm sure I don't have to explain why...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby spumco » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 am

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Here's the scenario:

1. UCCNC running, no G-code or machine movements operating.
2. Switch to, or start, another windows application. Sometimes for a few seconds (calculator) or sometimes for an extended period (CAD/CAM)
3. Switch back to UCCNC.
4. UCCNC is in focus, and data can be entered in DRO/MDI fields, screen buttons (homing, DRO zeroing, etc.) are functional.
5. Step jogging is no longer functional, either with Xbox controller, keyboard inputs, or the on-screen flyout.
6. Continuous jogging is functional on Xbox controller. Keyboard inputs functional for continuous (after Eric updated the plugin). On-screen fly-out continuous jogging not functional.
7. Only resolution to get step jogging back is to re-start UCCNC.

Frequency - about 10% of the time I use UCCNC this happens. I have not tried to duplicate it while taking notes about exactly what other programs or so forth was going on while it happened.

I don't believe this has ever happened without switching from UCCNC to another windows application, but I haven't taken extensive notes. I will try to be more diligent from now on about recording specific circumstances and programs.
spumco

Postby cncdrive » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:24 pm

OK, thanks.
I've tested with switching between different apps from UCCNC to other app and then back with the step jog selected and then jog and it always worked.
I now also tested with running UCCNC and then run another app then go back to UCCNC with step jog selected and then jog and this also aways worked.
However there should be no difference when switching between apps windows or running other apps, for one app (like the UCCNC) there is no difference,
the only thing the app sees is that it losts the focus, I mean in both cases the app receives only this event and nothing else, so the 2 things are the same for the app.

I remember a similar issue with the jogging though from earlier about another plugin, it was the Autoleveler plugin which disabled the jogging sometimes and it took some time for us to figure why the issue happened until we found out the plugin called the jogstop function of the plugin interface. :)
The issue was later resolved by the developer of the plugin.

So, it would be helpful if you could remove the plugin to see if the issue still happens or not?
I say to "remove" and not to just disable, because it is possible for a plugin to still do things when not enabled, ofcourse this is not how a plugin should work,
but it is possible so the only way to make sure it is not a plugin issue is to fully remove the plugin .dll file from the plugins folder then it sure can't do anything.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby eabrust » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 am

Hi Spumco,

Just to clarify my setup that I test on and compare to yours, I am running UCCNC 1.2038, windows 7, with a UC100 on my router. I have no issues with the flyout buttons or keyboard arrows jogging in step or continuous. I also flop between UCCNC and VCarve having focus, and haven't had any issues that you describe. I should update UCCNC on my router for test purposes, but am settled in with things working, so I like to leave it alone :)

In my office, I have UCCNC 1.2042. With the plugin enabled, all keyboard button and flyout button presses appear to work fine (per the changing of the DROs, not hooked to a UC motion device to verify actual movements though).

I Will be interested to see if you still find the new version has issues and the old doesn't on your setup.

regards,
Eric Brust / CraftyCNC
CraftyCNC: Plugins for UCCNC (and other neat stuff): http://www.craftycnc.com/plugins-for-uccnc/
eabrust

Postby spumco » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:24 am

Gents,

Thanks again for the help. Give me a day or two to fiddle around and take some notes on the exact circumstances that cause or are related to the step jog issue. Maybe we can eliminate some variables. I'll get back as soon as I have something more concrete.

-S
spumco

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:21 am

Eric,

Are you doing anything like calling the jogdisable on the lost focus event in your plugin? I mean are you doing anything on focus loss?
I'm asking this, because it sounds like the issue is happening when the UCCNC looses the focus and getting it back.
What the UCCNC is doing in this case is it looking for the focus and if there is no focus on the UCCNC then it does not execute the jogging loops and calls the jogstop function instead to make sure the jog does not locks up because the application lost the focus (like what happens with e.g. Mach3 when it looses the focus and if you still jogging.)
When the focus comes back then the UCCNC continues executing the jog checking conditional loop which does the jogging when a jog button is called.
I just explained this to let you understand what is happening inside the UCCNC when the app looses the focus and when it gets it back, because maybe it will be useful for you to know these.

And I don't remember any changes in the jogging procedure for a long time back, I mean we did not touch that code for a long time now. I'm pretty sure that the jog handling code is all the same in version 1.2037 and later versions.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby eabrust » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:11 pm

cncdrive wrote:Eric,

Are you doing anything like calling the jogdisable on the lost focus event in your plugin? I mean are you doing anything on focus loss?

Hi Balzas,

Thanks for info. The plugin does not call jogdisable or perform any function or coordination to UCCNC on loss of focus. When focus is lost, the plugin will still be trying to command movement to UCCNC. The plugin relies on UCCNC to stop the motion when UCCNC loses focus, and to restart on focus return.

The only real commands the plugin coordinates with UCCNC are calls for axis jogs to start / stop on button presses (ie, push button 149 to start Y+, then push button 231 to stop Y), and to automatically change between step/continuous modes and adjust feedrates continuously based on stick 'throw'.

I've been unable to replicate any bad behavior on my setup.

regards
Eric Brust
CraftyCNC: Plugins for UCCNC (and other neat stuff): http://www.craftycnc.com/plugins-for-uccnc/
eabrust

Postby spumco » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Gents,

I'm back after a few sessions trying to replicate the two problems I mentioned earlier.

Reverting back to plugin v1.0003 I've had no disconnect issues. Multiple switching back and forth between UCCNC and many other programs, including while a program was running in the background. The step jog works every time I switch window focus back to UCCNC - no issues. I'll try 1.0004 again and see if that problem returns.

The axis 'jumping' is still there, and is present on all four axis (X/Y/Z and rotary A). Based on the observed DRO change, the jumps are moving approximately .018" to .075" at rapid speed. This tells me UCCNC is being commanded to 'jump' and it's not spurious motion downstream of the PC (UC400ETH, BOB, drivers, motors, etc.).

They only happen at very low jogging speeds, perhaps 1-5% of the joystick travel. Does not happen when jogging at a steady 25% or greater joystick movement. I can move between 25% and 100& as many times and as quickly as I want with no unintended change in travel speed. My steps per inch and leadscrew pitch permit me to creep along in 'tenths (0.0001") if I'm very gentle with the joystick - not a problem of having too coarse a resolution on the system.

Only happens - so far - when moving very small increments of the joystick from the center position. i.e. I'm nudging the stick from center to 'creep' up on a feature (edge-finding), and the axis jumps in the commanded direction at rapid speed a small amount.

Has happened immediately when I touch the joystick, as well as after I've started moving a bit. I've watched the plugin window joystick % and feed rate displays while this is happening and the numbers don't change significantly during the short jumps.

This happens when the spindle is stopped or turning, so I don't think it's VFD noise. It also happens whether or not relays or other likely RFI sources are active. My controller USB cable has an OEM ferrite ring on it, and I have a second aftermarket ring for the USB cable installed. I have 120VAC LED lights installed in the enclosure, but this happens if they are on or off. Can't think of any other noise sources possibly being picked up by the controller cable.

Windows 8.1, UCCNC 1.049. Happens with all versions of the Xbox plugin. Does not happen with keyboard jogging, nor have I noticed any odd movement during Gcode execution (MDI or loaded program).

Another issue (possibly related) I noticed last night while finishing a trunnion table build. While using the xbox controller to rapid the A axis, I moved the joystick to 100% and then quickly moved it to 100% in the opposite direction. The axis continued to move in the original direction until I released the joystick, and the axis DRO indicated no direction change. I can rapid rotate in either direction just fine, but if I don't let the joystick return to center for a short period the axis will continue in the first direction when the stick is reversed.

Is it possible the controller has bad contacts inside? Something causing unintended signals at very small joystick positions? Has anyone had one of these controllers apart to check the potentiometers or whatever they use for position sensors?

Thanks again,
Spumco
spumco

Postby ger21 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 pm

UCCNC 1.049.

That can't be the actual version you are using, is it? If so, you need to get the latest version.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins