Spindle lockout

Here is where you can request new features or special features.

Spindle lockout

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:56 pm

Now that we have the fancy "knows when the probes plugged in" feature is there any way to have the spindle locked out when the probe is plugged in so that when derek pushes he start button instead of the tool release button the spindle won't turn on and rip the wires out of the probe.

Not that it would ever happen mind you just talking hypothetical;)
Derek

Re: Spindle lockout

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi Terry
The Calypso screen set had it. But I think it was based on tool number. You couldn't use the probing functions without calling up the tool number of the probe. If the tool number of the probe was loaded and you tried to use the spindle it would pop up a warning window that gave you the option to quit or override.

Fortunately it broke at the probe so there wasn't much whipping around. I wish it had a mag plug like my macbook or bluetooth. either that or a smarter operator:)
Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Oh I have a way to do it mechanically with the plug but it would be easier if you did it for me via software:)

I use a RCA jack and it has provisions to break a contact when the plug is in. It's been on my list to do but.....
Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:08 pm

Relay on BOB controls VFD.
Derek

Postby A_Camera » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Derek wrote:Now that we have the fancy "knows when the probes plugged in" feature is there any way to have the spindle locked out when the probe is plugged in so that when derek pushes he start button instead of the tool release button the spindle won't turn on and rip the wires out of the probe.

Not that it would ever happen mind you just talking hypothetical;)

If such mistake only rips your wires out of the probe you are lucky, If you have your fingers near the spindle you will not only lose the wires but maybe one or two fingers as well and you leave a mess...

Now, my solution raised a lot of debate on another forum, but here is what I did to prevent this from happening...

A simple mechanical safety switch. Every time I use the probe or change tool (yes, I change manually) I flip the switch to off and after probing I flip it to on. Demands some discipline, but I want to keep my fingers so I don't mind manual interaction. The worst that can happen is that I forget to switch it on and the VFD starts without the spindle spinning, in which case just pushing the red Stop to prevent the G-code from starting the steppers, rewind and restart. I want this to be completely independent from any computer or other electronics because there is always a risk for software or firmware error in the code, so this way if I follow the work flow I make sure my fingers will survive even if something goes wrong with UCCNC or Mach3, which I am still using, or the motion controller or actually the VFD. As a matter of fact, the manual of my VFD (Bosch Rexroth EFC 5610) mentions this as well. It is a very simple solution, the switch is of course never used for switching off or on the spindle motor, but it is a safety thing, like unplugging the motor for maintenance. This gives me 100% protection against my own stupid mistake or against some electronic or software/firmware failure.
A_Camera

Return to Feature Request