Cutter Radius Compensation ( G40 , G41 , G42 )

Here is where you can request new features or special features.

Re: Cutter Radius Compensation ( G40 , G41 , G42 )

Postby Robertspark » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Aghhh!!! Is that what the problem is?

I posted a question on plugins over in the plugins section about storing settings for a plugin.... may explain the use of streamreader and streamwriter class to store the vales in a separate txt file (may work here, but I'll leave those at uccnc to figure out the best solution across platform going forward

I did think about another plugin to hold the vales but without the tool compensation g codes... there is little point at this time.

For plasma I hold all the tool settings in sheetcam but thought for simple shapes via macro and screen wizard, in a tool table within uccnc would be better.

It would be nice to be able to pull the tool table vales back into macros or screen wizards via a combo box to select the tool and then the other vales can be pulled back into the table
Rob
Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself”
...working my way through the 1000+ ways things don't work to find the one that does
UC400eth, UC300eth, UCCNC v1.2106, Neuron Lite
UCCNC v1.2105 Macro Manual
Robertspark

Postby Vmax549 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:16 pm

HI Gerry , YES I agree with that

Hi Robert , Another advantage of a tool table is you can auto sort based on column name. i did a simple test to see how that might work. Here is teh Test file you can run to play with it. You enter teh values in teh columns then to sort click on the column name. IF I want to see th table based on Tool DIameters it is just one click away and the table is resorted based on tool diam.

Please note that THIS example is NOT linked to any support tables and it does not save anything anywhere. (;-) It is just a simple test of AUTO SORT in a table view. You will also note that is it FULLY tab able. It does NOT require a mouse to use it actually it is faster without a mouse. It also is NOT limited to a certain # of tools. To add more tools simply add more tools. It auto expands as to # of tools.

(;-) TP
Attachments
test123A.zip
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Vmax549

Postby Robertspark » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:42 pm

TP,

Yup, that's why I'd suggest a multi dimensional array sort of arrangement.

Because c# indexes arrays from position zero [0], hence within the [0] row you could list all of the headers, then when you reference the tooltable, you know that position [1] = tool #1, [2] = tool #2, etc....

hence pulling the info back into the wizards should be logical (instead of using read & write key.... or streamreader & streamwriter which would / could be another PIA way..... to be superseded I'm sure by a better arrangement.

The starting point I'd suggest for tooltables is probably to consider your end point : i.e. where are you going to use them, and how are you going to use them for mill (router ;) ) plasma, turn, multihead 3d printer etc.... then consider the easiest way to be able to pull the values out of there and also be able to maybe share those tool tables with other users.

For example, I copied the hypertherm PMX45 tooltable and plonked it within sheetcam for all the uk steelsizes that I was likely to cut.... I've no use for that holding on to that info, hence I'd rather post that info to share with others to save them setting up the same tooltable, I'm sure there are many other things that we all do repetitively that in my altruistic view there is little economic value in withholding

Same thing with tooltables..... thing that gets new users is speeds and feeds..... first cnc milling I did on perspex was ok, adjusted the feedrate & spindle speed and got a good finish..... tried to cut the same part in aluminium 10mm plate..... and it was a little less fogiving on tools if the speed and feed was wrong and by the time I figured out it was wrong I had two tool bits instead of one ;) and there was a few nice onsrud tools that could have been saved by simply having a tooltable that listed the onsrud tool with a feed, speed and dia that I could have imported directly into the tooltable to get me going.....

(another consideration there maybe..... double click on a filetype and import the tool directly into the next poisition in the tooltable? .... that would require a standard tooltable format .... sort of order of info in maybe a CSV type file arrangement?)
Rob
Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself”
...working my way through the 1000+ ways things don't work to find the one that does
Robertspark

Postby Vmax549 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:55 pm

ROBERT it SOUNDS like you need my Feed and Speed plugin for UCCNC .

(;-) TP
Attachments
FeedSpeeds3.jpg
Vmax549

Postby Robertspark » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:07 pm

Hahaha..... yeah I do!

I was thinking about copying the one you kindly did for sheetcam and porting it over, but thought that may not be very polite......
Rob
Robertspark

Postby Vmax549 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:18 pm

ACTUALLY I redid teh one for sheetcam to look almost exactly like this one. They BOTH have the exact same formulas for calculations and give teh exact results gien the same inputs.

NOTE: ANYTHING I ever post is freely useable by ANYONE FOR ANY purpose NO restrictions and you can copy it and call it anything you want AND claim it to be your OWN if you choose.

MANY people over the years have helped me in exactly the same way NO RESTRICTIONS. TIME To pass it on.

Beside IF it was that important you would receive a NDA in the mail to fill out. :mrgreen:

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Robertspark » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Thanks TP, I feel happier now as you've been very prolific over the years with macros wizards etc across the platforms.
Rob
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:52 am

Any word if this is on the todo list?
Gerry
UCCNC 2017 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:05 pm

I was working on this for some time and the algorithm I've made already working with linear movements and to some level with arcs too,
but it is not perfect yet for arcs and I had to do other things, had no enough time to finish it yet.

Although I think I have to mention here that cutter radius compensation is not the magic wand as many people (mostly the ones who has not enough experience with it yet) may think,
how it works in CNC controllers can sometimes cause more problems than advantages, the reason for this is that by definition the algorithm has to look ahead only one segment (line or arc) to know the connection angle. This can cause lots of precision issues especially if a toolpath is built from small line segments and sharp corners.

The algorithm could be implemented also differently, but then it is no more G41/G42 standard as it would then not comply the definition and then the exact path calculation could be not easily followed by the operator and could be time consuming for the CNC controller.
So, a CAM program calculates the radius compensated path totally differently, the main difference is that it views the whole path in once and that way the new path can be even perfectly parallel, but it can take time for the computer to calculate the path which is not acceptable for a CNC controller. I mean the CNC controller can't work for minutes on calculating the offset path.

So this topic is really interesting, because it is a complex mathematical and computation problem if we think and go more deep into.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Robertspark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:17 pm

To be fair, sheetcam does the tool offsets for me ... it was more for the addition of wizards to uccnc, for me it was not an urgent priority, but I may be a minority of one
Rob
Robertspark

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Request